News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

With our new underground LRT stations, we're seeing a lot of exposed concrete. It can make for an interesting contemporary design element or look cheap and trashy. When I see stains on the walls, patches, and unevenness from afar, it makes for a cheap and trashy impression. Hopefully, the exposed concrete will be nicely finished here.

Take a look at the concrete columns along the platforms on these new Warsaw Metro stations. Now that's some high-quality exposed concrete, down to the sleek and elegant sheen.

Interestingly, in Warsaw what you see, for most part, is very selective use of exposed concrete as a finish, typically the columns; this is also tempered by a tendency for very bright colours/finishes through the balance of the station design.

As we've seen it used here, we typically get full exposed trackside walls, and often ceilings too, which is just too much overwhelming grey in the palate.

Given our experience with the TYSSE, I would be skeptical. I don’t know if it’s a design or maintenance failure, but a number of stations with exposed concrete have large water stains. It’s disappointing, because I’m generally ‘ok’ with the exposed-concrete look.
Yeah, and what's weird is the Sheppard subway stations don't have any water stains.

Given our experience with the TYSSE, I would be skeptical. I don’t know if it’s a design or maintenance failure, but a number of stations with exposed concrete have large water stains. It’s disappointing, because I’m generally ‘ok’ with the exposed-concrete look.

This town tend to handle concrete finishes badly - especially in builds from the last two decades. The finish at the TYSSE York U station is so bad, I'd want to take my name off if I was F+P.

AoD

Interestingly, in Warsaw what you see, for most part, is very selective use of exposed concrete as a finish, typically the columns; this is also tempered by a tendency for very bright colours/finishes through the balance of the station design.

As we've seen it used here, we typically get full exposed trackside walls, and often ceilings too, which is just too much overwhelming grey in the palate.

Our approach seems to be marred by cheapness. Aside from bureaucratic stinginess, another problem is that there's a contingent of people (and possibly some of the bureaucrats themselves) that assumes that exposed concrete is, on its own, high design.

You still have to ensure that the concrete finishes are up to architectural standards. If there are going to be leaks that don't pose any structural failure risk, it's a better idea to choose a finish that won't show stains so obviously.

Our approach seems to be marred by cheapness. Aside from bureaucratic stinginess, another problem is that there's a contingent of people (and possibly some of the bureaucrats themselves) that assumes that exposed concrete is, on its own, high design.

You still have to ensure that the concrete finishes are up to architectural standards. If there are going to be leaks that don't pose any structural failure risk, it's a better idea to choose a finish that won't show stains so obviously.
Its because we blow all the money to make 25 meter and 50 meter deep stations, instead for making shallower and architecturally good stations. Plus the city won't accept a shitty job, they'll tell the contractor to go back and fix it. The concrete used is also architectural will a finished polish

Its because we blow all the money to make 25 meter and 50 meter deep stations, instead for making shallower and architecturally good stations. Plus the city won't accept a shitty job, they'll tell the contractor to go back and fix it. The concrete used is also architectural will a finished polish
The issue isn't that we want to make super-deep stations.

The issue is that "no one" seems to be willing to accept that construction of underground infrastructure has its impacts on the surface as well, and that building deeper has its own set of positives and negatives to go with that.

Dan

Cover it up with Ads / I'm not picky on water stains on the walls, dirty tiles / broke tiles, missing ceiling covers are more of a eyesore for me.

Maybe a Gofundme campaign is necessary to get these stations a makeover!

The issue here is more to do with the terrible waterproofing on the TYSSE, there are crazy icicles which form in winter!

I wouldn't be surprised it being push into summer or even September 2023. TTC needs like a few months to schedule all the route changes once they have a confirm handover date. Unlike the TYSSE, they still have to train operators too before the pre-opening trial period.

I wouldn't be surprised it being push into summer or even September 2023. TTC needs like a few months to schedule all the route changes once they have a confirm handover date. Unlike the TYSSE, they still have to train operators too before the pre-opening trial period.
That will give BlogTO a few more months to write about the endless construction before they switch to reposting articles about how there are constant delays on the line due to the non-prioritized at-grade section (not that they shouldn't write such articles).
I still think Line 5 will be better than the bus by a longshot and I can't wait for it to be finished. But I don't see how the tunneled segment is not going to be severely bottlenecked by the at-grade segment.

Back