News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Simply mandating WFH 1 day a week where possible would likely give us a decade of capacity in the GTA imo.
That may give us one or two days with lighter passenger volume but do nothing for rest of the weekdays.
It's not like there's 20% reduction in trips every weekday.

That may give us one or two days with lighter passenger volume but do nothing for rest of the weekdays.
It's not like there's 20% reduction in trips every weekday.
Not the same day.

if everyone has 1 day that's a 20% reduction of nearly all office workers every day assuming the m-f split is even.

A lot of people are still WFH. I’m WFH 3x a week. And on the occasions I’ve travelled downtown for work as opposed to Brampton, Union is a ghost town compared to pre-covid.

Not the same day.

if everyone has 1 day that's a 20% reduction of nearly all office workers every day assuming the m-f split is even.
that's a big if. The reality is most WFH days fall on fridays and mondays.

Mind you, Friday's are probably the most common WFH day and also typically is the busiest day of the weak in terms of travel, so it would still be helpful, and has been for the last 3 years.

I don't see many offices returning to 5 days a week full time for a long while, if ever.

Mind you, Friday's are probably the most common WFH day and also typically is the busiest day of the weak in terms of travel, so it would still be helpful, and has been for the last 3 years.

I don't see many offices returning to 5 days a week full time for a long while, if ever.
My team is super weird in that our in-office day is Friday, but the 12 of us are the only people on our entire floor when we're there. And compared to the few times I've gone in on another day of the week, the whole office building I work in is just way emptier on a Friday than say a Wednesday or a Thursday. So there's definitely not going to be some kind of even split of who isn't working in the office by day.

Most people I know (including me) have been 5 days for several months!

ha, this week is actually my first week back in the office at all, at 2 days a week.

It varies a lot, but generally the majority of companies are operating on a hybrid model at this point. Some are working 100% WFH still, some part time, some 5 days a week again. All depends.

I'm sure in the future the grade separate portion of the line could be automated for 90s operation and platforms can be extended ~20m+.
90s is not going to happen with door-light low floor LRVs. If people are skeptical OL can do 90s with PSDs, and many doors with high floor trains, it has to be far more incredible to think 90s headways are possible with low floor trams.

40 TPH is an industry standard for a purpose built automated metro so no one should be skeptical in the first place about the Ontario Line.

It may have been an exaggeration to say Line5 could be retrofitted for such operation but they should be able to run at least 34 TPH if not 36+ TPH with platform screen doors. There are numerous low floor platforms with more doors per side, including the 40m configuration of our current trains.
original-1024x683.jpg

Calgary is purchasing CAF Urbos 3 trainsets with a "double-door" configuration
kjyhjgw8r8081.jpg

Last edited:
40 TPH is an industry standard for a purpose built automated metro so no one should be skeptical in the first place about the Ontario Line.

It may have been an exaggeration to say Line5 could be retrofitted for such operation but they should be able to run at least 34 TPH if not 36+ TPH with platform screen doors. There are numerous low floor platforms with more doors per side, including the 40m configuration of our current trains.
original-1024x683.jpg

Calgary is purchasing CAF Urbos 3 trainsets with a "double-door" configuration
kjyhjgw8r8081.jpg
Very sceptical, more doors help - but the internal space on these trains is still very restricted which slows dwells

The roads are starting to get redone at a lot of the major intersections at the moment. Yonge n Eglinton still the furthest along but the main building station is moving along fairly quickly

Back