News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Speaking of scheduling, do we know if the crosstown will run 24hrs like the streetcars downtown? Or will it be like the subways where it is mostly 5am-1am with night buses during the off hours?
~18 hours, similar to the other four rapid transit lines. The Testing and Commissioning phase was/is also to have operators simulate service and their timetables.

IIRC, overnight service was last recommended (from what I read somewhere) to be operated by an modified 334 Eglinton Blue Night, similar to the 300. Both ideally, will run cross through Yonge, but will however, have overlapping branches over the current LRT segment (whereas the 300 does, between, West Mall and Warden, along Bloor/Danforth). So, if you wanted to go from say, East Mall and Eglinton, and you work in the Finchdene area or Centenary, you'd have to transfer somewhere between Mount Dennis and Kennedy.

334A from Airport to Kennedy
33B Mount Dennis to Finchdene.

I have not heard of the changes becoming gospel yet.

I think the blue night proposal included running the services on Eglinton at 15-20 minute headways, which brings the night counterpart to be more like the 300 or 320, rather than maintain existing service level.

The question remains is if it’s actually implemented or if they (likely) just keep running every 30 minutes.

I think the blue night proposal included running the services on Eglinton at 15-20 minute headways, which brings the night counterpart to be more like the 300 or 320, rather than maintain existing service level.

The question remains is if it’s actually implemented or if they (likely) just keep running every 30 minutes.
The 334A/334B routing structure is approved with each running every 30 min combing to 15 min average between the overlapping route. Unless there is a budget issue where the current routing is kept, I don't see why it won't happen. Additional service might be required right after the last train left or before the morning train service begins. There isn't a lot of pubs on Eglinton unlike Bloor so it won't be as frequent as the 300. Sometimes people question why doesn't the subway wait for last call but we know that the current maintenance window is only 90-120min and can't be shorten further.

so basicity anyone can get on without paying a fee which is exactly why I could se the TTC wanting fare gates at their stations.
It's not like the TTC is doing much fare inspecting these days anyways, so why would they care.

There will be fare gates at station level.

^To be clear i'm not saying there should be fare gates at the transfer between the Yonge-University line and the Eglinton Crosstown. I'm just stating there will be fare gates at the Line 5 entrances.

^To be clear i'm not saying there should be fare gates at the transfer between the Yonge-University line and the Eglinton Crosstown. I'm just stating there will be fare gates at the Line 5 entrances.
I get that there will be at the entrances which makes sense but for example, at Kennedy the current setup has a hallway that isn't in the fare-paid zone with an entrance to the crosstown on the non-fare paid area unless the TTC and Matrolinxs plan to make that hallway which provides a non-fare paid access to the go train station a fare paid zone then they would need to have fare gates to get to the crosstown.

The connection between line 5 and line 2 is in the paid fare zone.
1667878571996.png

When every bus route arrives in the fare paid zone, I'm not sure why a major transit line wouldn't. They need to handle fare evasion as a separate plan. They could just implement tap-off / tap-to-exit and catch everybody who didn't tap on, they could create random fare check locations like they have on occasion getting off the 510. A high fare evasion fine and some well publicized events where people receive that fine would solve the problem pretty quick.

It shouldn't be because of the stupid Pop system that they want to use all it will do is add more people who won't pay their fare to the system.
I ride the King streetcar almost every day, and the level of compliance is very high. It's obviously not 100%, but pretty close. There's a fair amount of fare enforcement these days, though they'd be easy to dodge if you planned for it.

When every bus route arrives in the fare paid zone, I'm not sure why a major transit line wouldn't. They need to handle fare evasion as a separate plan. They could just implement tap-off / tap-to-exit and catch everybody who didn't tap on, they could create random fare check locations like they have on occasion getting off the 510. A high fare evasion fine and some well publicized events where people receive that fine would solve the problem pretty quick.
They should have fare Gates at stations before you get on the subway as well. The whole idea of Pop is just a waste of money for the people who pay their fare and an excuse for people who think that because it's "too expensive" its ok to walk in through a bus entrance or get on a stretcher for free. We should be looking at ways to stop that because fare inspections don't work because people complain about being targeted and stuff like that.

I ride the King streetcar almost every day, and the level of compliance is very high. It's obviously not 100%, but pretty close. There's a fair amount of fare enforcement these days, though they'd be easy to dodge if you planned for it.
I think some routes are better than others just like some stations are better than others like for example any time i go to main Street station there are people who just walk right in through the bus and streetcar boarding areas into the station and down to the subway. They probably think that it's ok because they don't get caught doing it but it's not.

I believe a fare gate costs about $45K to purchase and install. To break even each fare gate would need to catch 13,900 fare evasions and this doesn't count people who use a child pass or discount pass that clearly don't qualify for one because the fare gate can't validate that information. If everyone and a high volume transfer point needed to tap that would mean a very large number of gate installs. I'm not sure how big the fare evasion issue is (excluding those with child or discount passes the don't qualify for), but unless it is significant there are probably better ways to deal with it. Now if the Metrolinx pushes for fare by distance across all modes with a tap off required, then this additional number of gates might pay for themselves in other ways.

Back