News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I see this opening in the 3rd quarter next year, but I'm probably wrong. It's so nice seeing the street looking more complete and well, having bike lanes. That's wild to me. Of course, the bike land stretch is rather short, and my immediate area (sortof) won't see any.

8 Minutes would be ridiculous, at least pre-pandemic. You don't just have to worry about the 40 Eglinton buses, but all the new induced demand and new surface route connections. For instance, I would very much expect some people to start taking the Lawrence east bus now that they have a much easier connection to the subway network. Given we're still dealing with a pandemic shortfall, 5 minutes seems reasonable enough for now, but that will definitely have to increase as ridership improves.

For the record, I wasn't suggesting that the headway would be 7 minutes 45 seconds - just that the capacity requirements to replace what was there before construction would require that as a starting point. The TTC has a long history of running more service than they absolutely need on rapid transit lines, and I don't see that being any different here.

Should we start a pool on the new new new launch date?

The operator moves and training - which were originally supposed to start in August - are currently scheduled to start in January. It sounds as if the TTC is currently estimating that revenue service will start in September.

Dan

I think they will try to get it done and opened for Canada Day... (but I predict they won't say anything about it until late April/early May)
Based on the report on Ottawa, LRT systems, TTC is going to go very slow on testing the system to make sure they have all their boxes check off before even look coming up with an opening date.

One hopes that ML will doing their own testing during the coming winter months to see how the cars run, but since they are BBD cars in the first place, similar to TTC Fleet, it shouldn't be an issues,

Finch LRV's are a different story.

When it open in 2023, it will open not when ppl think it should

Last edited:
Meanwhile, in San Francisco...

Note, the transit signals WITHOUT verbage sign clutter (required in Toronto, it seems)...

When I moved to San Francisco in 2016 this was already 6 years into the construction progress. Ended up opening 4 years later than expected right after I moved from SF! Was there this week for work and they've already moved it to limited service as downtown MUNI traffic is very very quiet.

When I moved to San Francisco in 2016 this was already 6 years into the construction progress. Ended up opening 4 years later than expected right after I moved from SF! Was there this week for work and they've already moved it to limited service as downtown MUNI traffic is very very quiet.
They also had some serious issues that delay the project and a few surprise found doing it that further delay the opening and increase the cost of doing it. There were poor sub work that had to be redone.

At least they are doing a soft opening by running weekends only until January with long headways. They should move to a full week schedule a few weeks before opening as there is a big difference between weekend and weekday service and ridership even though the fare is supposed to be free on the weekend.

You need to tell us how this is going and what issues you are seeing.

Based on the report on Ottawa, LRT systems, TTC is going to go very slow on testing the system to make sure they all their boxes are check off before even look coming up with an opening date.

One hopes that ML will doing their own testing during the coming winter months to see how the cars run, but since they are BBD cars in the first place similar to TTC Fleet, it shouldn't be an issues,

Finch LRV's are a different story.

When it open in 2023, it will open not when ppl think it should
Tbh slightly confused here. Finch LRVs are the ones from Ottawa, but are a different story than Ottawa when on Finch? Are you saying that it's due to the design of the line? Or that the trains should be fixed by now due to the mess in Ottawa?

But I do agree that there will be far more caution with the LRTs here than what OCTranspo did with the Confederation Line, cus god that was a disaster.

Tbh slightly confused here. Finch LRVs are the ones from Ottawa, but are a different story than Ottawa when on Finch? Are you saying that it's due to the design of the line? Or that the trains should be fixed by now due to the mess in Ottawa?

But I do agree that there will be far more caution with the LRTs here than what OCTranspo did with the Confederation Line, cus god that was a disaster.
Same supplier and almost the same design. One hope lesson learn doesn't repeat problems twice.

I am saying, double check Finch and Hurontario system and make sure they don't have Ottawa issue.

Very little in the way of curves for both lines as they are almost straight. Finch has more curves than Hurontario, but not as bad as Ottawa that I can recall seeing.

They also had some serious issues that delay the project and a few surprise found doing it that further delay the opening and increase the cost of doing it. There were poor sub work that had to be redone.

At least they are doing a soft opening by running weekends only until January with long headways. They should move to a full week schedule a few weeks before opening as there is a big difference between weekend and weekday service and ridership even though the fare is supposed to be free on the weekend.

You need to tell us how this is going and what issues you are seeing.
Not in SF anymore but looks like limited service is just to offer some free rides (and likely extra testing). Will report back if I hear anything from friends in the area but not a route most will need to use (it will be largely tourist traffic I suspect...)

Do we have any word on how line 5 will appear on TTC subway maps? I remember they updated the maps with a hollowed out line for the line 1 Vaughan extension several months before it opened with the opening date next to it. I wonder if we’ll see something similar.

Do we have any word on how line 5 will appear on TTC subway maps? I remember they updated the maps with a hollowed out line for the line 1 Vaughan extension several months before it opened with the opening date next to it. I wonder if we’ll see something similar.
The TTC has said that the maps will be updated for them but there will not be any lights on them except for the ones that exist. If you have ever seen the existing ones without the maps you can see that they only put them in for the stations that we know to exist at the time the Toronto Rocket trains were ordered.

Question asked near the end of this and the Minister said it'll open as soon as possible. Noted people frustrated. Safe operational as soon as possible. No specific date given.

TTC has used various maps in their publications in the last few years. At the rate that Line 5 and 6 are going, I wouldn't be surprised if the next version adds both, but removes Line 3 (perhaps showing an express bus or something, similar to the 900).

Here's one TTC tweeted last year:

1670441023156.jpeg

Back