News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Haha, Cloverfield

Politicians not in the know about this project? Is Metrolinx not a government agency? Does not one councillor sit with the Metrolinx board for meetings and updates? Does the president of Metrolinx not have to provide regular updates to City Council and the Province? There have to be many checks and balances here no? Not secrets and whistleblowers for goodness sake.

If trains are running now, it must be something very large structurally or a utility that is not easy to fix now the stations are enclosed. He mentions water, well given the time these tunnels have been finished and through a couple or more annual seasonal changes, they would have known long ago about water issues in tunnels, so that leaves the stations. He mentions platforms? Maybe someone can shed some light on how a platform can be an issue that can't be fixed unless they are arguing about who pays for fixes? There should definitely be some transparency on this. The traffic issues should be resolved soon as more streets are reopening but does that leave us with a dead asset buried under Eglinton? It can't be that bad or should they not be stopping the extension till the other issues are resolved or at least well understood to avoid repEat. The more I think about this, the more I worry about this apparent issue being a total showstopper and projects such as the Ontario Line getting scrapped or held from political fear but the problems are either hidden, (hard to imagine) or this is just a political football. Hopefully Metrolinx and its key employees and contractors can learn from Crosstown and can apply those skills to the projects going forward. The second and subsequent projects for new teams are usually executed better.

If the issues are not structural to the track, tunnels and/or electrical/control systems. Block off those problem stations for now and get the line running no? Doesn't make sense to hold up the entire project for a couple of trouble spots that won't interrupt service. Maybe even create a new repair contract with a third party to resolve. I'm just throwing stuff out there I realize but after 11 years this seems all a bit over the top.

20221215_183641.jpg

Looks like they are doing incliment weather testing. I saw about 5 trains go by in the span of 20 minutes

Looks like the public inquiry was whittled down to a public review.

If this doesn't summarize the inefficient bureaucracy of modern politics, I don't know what does!

Haha, Cloverfield

Politicians not in the know about this project? Is Metrolinx not a government agency? Does not one councillor sit with the Metrolinx board for meetings and updates? Does the president of Metrolinx not have to provide regular updates to City Council and the Province? There have to be many checks and balances here no? Not secrets and whistleblowers for goodness sake.

If trains are running now, it must be something very large structurally or a utility that is not easy to fix now the stations are enclosed. He mentions water, well given the time these tunnels have been finished and through a couple or more annual seasonal changes, they would have known long ago about water issues in tunnels, so that leaves the stations. He mentions platforms? Maybe someone can shed some light on how a platform can be an issue that can't be fixed unless they are arguing about who pays for fixes? There should definitely be some transparency on this. The traffic issues should be resolved soon as more streets are reopening but does that leave us with a dead asset buried under Eglinton? It can't be that bad or should they not be stopping the extension till the other issues are resolved or at least well understood to avoid repEat. The more I think about this, the more I worry about this apparent issue being a total showstopper and projects such as the Ontario Line getting scrapped or held from political fear but the problems are either hidden, (hard to imagine) or this is just a political football. Hopefully Metrolinx and its key employees and contractors can learn from Crosstown and can apply those skills to the projects going forward. The second and subsequent projects for new teams are usually executed better.

If the issues are not structural to the track, tunnels and/or electrical/control systems. Block off those problem stations for now and get the line running no? Doesn't make sense to hold up the entire project for a couple of trouble spots that won't interrupt service. Maybe even create a new repair contract with a third party to resolve. I'm just throwing stuff out there I realize but after 11 years this seems all a bit over the top.
Metrolinx is not a city agency. It' is provincial. So no, they do not have any councillors on the board, and they do not make reports to council. Now why the province of Ontario has failed to do anything but block MX from communicating with the public is another story. As it stands, MX is just an arm of the ministry of transportation and only tells us what Caroline Mulroney (a person who has almost certainly never used public transit outside of photo-ops) decides we are allowed to hear.

^Glad to see that testing going on.

Yesterday’s weather forced the Kitchener LRT to shut down.…. Crosstown has enough similarities that being able to run tests says good things.

- Paul

^Glad to see that testing going on.

Yesterday’s weather forced the Kitchener LRT to shut down.…. Crosstown has enough similarities that being able to run tests says good things.

- Paul

At Kitchener's OMSF open house they said they'd keep two trains cycling the line overnight with ice cutter pantos to limit build up when heavy snow/ice was expected, but it's not clear to me if they've ever done that. I'm really surprised that ice has caused as many mid-day shut downs for the line as it has given the 10-minute headways.

Running a double train with ice cutters was effective at re-opening it, they should have pulled that trick out of the box before it failed.

Back