News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I am not saying that they should have built the entire line in one go. They could have built the at grade portion underground 10 years later.
This can still be done if being at grade is an actual issue.

Make it part of the maintenance tender in ~2040.

This can still be done if being at grade is an actual issue.

Make it part of the maintenance tender in ~2040.
I doubt they will redo this portion that soon. Redoing it means they are admitting their mistake and that will be even more embarrassing for them.

I doubt they will redo this portion that soon. Redoing it means they are admitting their mistake and that will be even more embarrassing for them.
It's not a mistake to not have spent $2 Billion to put it underground like Ford wanted to, just not worthwhile for the small savings in travel time,. A few major intersections would've been worthwhile, Leslie would've been done if not for politics, and Victoria Park would have been worthwhile as well.

It's not a mistake to not have spent $2 Billion to put it underground like Ford wanted to, just not worthwhile for the small savings in travel time,. A few major intersections would've been worthwhile, Leslie would've been done if not for politics, and Victoria Park would have been worthwhile as well.
We'll find out once the line enters commercial service.

It would not be just travel time savings if it was put underground (or elevated). The entire line would be grade-separated with no in-median/street-running, so theoretically, they could redesign it to run high-floor metro trains.

Back in 2016, Eglinton Avenue West & Martin Grove Road was rated the most congested intersection. See link.

Eglinton-Avenue-West-and-Martin-Grove-Road.jpg

Thanks to all the construction notices, construction signs, and especially Waze, drivers should be avoiding Eglinton & Martin Grove. For now.

Likely, once all the construction is over and done with, the drivers will return. It is because of the anticipated traffic congestion (mostly single-occupant motorists not going or returning from Pearson Airport) that they decided to put the LRT underground through the Eglinton, Martin Grove, 427, and 401 intersection.

It would not be just travel time savings if it was put underground (or elevated). The entire line would be grade-separated with no in-median/street-running, so theoretically, they could redesign it to run high-floor metro trains.
If it had been foreseen that a premier would come along that decided to tunnel the western section under a wide open surface corridor, then sure it would have been worthwhile from the beginning to design a high-floor line with elevated outer sections. But we're not psychic.

Last edited:
I used to be heavily in favour of grade separating the west, and wrote that down in the consultation, but have since mellowed. However, I had thought that the chief advantage of this corridor was that it was basically just sitting there vacant and only needed to be a trench (kind of like Calgary west LRT, so I'm not sure why they felt the need for a TBM? I suppose it gets messier around the highway and is harder to dig around, but significant portions of it were protected by a green strip at the side of the road already. That said, I had kind of forgotten about this and haven't seen the official plans.

Back in 2016, Eglinton Avenue West & Martin Grove Road was rated the most congested intersection. See link.

Eglinton-Avenue-West-and-Martin-Grove-Road.jpg

Thanks to all the construction notices, construction signs, and especially Waze, drivers should be avoiding Eglinton & Martin Grove. For now.

Likely, once all the construction is over and done with, the drivers will return. It is because of the anticipated traffic congestion (mostly single-occupant motorists not going or returning from Pearson Airport) that they decided to put the LRT underground through the Eglinton, Martin Grove, 427, and 401 intersection.
Headwall construction have moved east to Islingon and Royal York station bring parts of Eglinton there into single lane. People would just avoid Eglinton all together.

B4E8D417-014C-4EA9-A12D-1C2944F74D6C.png
B4E8D417-014C-4EA9-A12D-1C2944F74D6C.png

Is this Twitter account dead? You would think with this being (most probably) the last year of construction they would be busy updating the general public with the progress of Line 5. Instead we haven’t gotten a tweet since before Christmas and no update on their progress since Chaplin reopened in the first half of December. !!!

Apologies if this has been asked.

Has Metrolinx or any other team specified whether this will remain an LRT line in 40-50 years? I'm curious if something like the trains we're going to see on the Ontario Line would be able to be used here if demand required it.

Thanks!

Apologies if this has been asked.

Has Metrolinx or any other team specified whether this will remain an LRT line in 40-50 years? I'm curious if something like the trains we're going to see on the Ontario Line would be able to be used here if demand required it.

Thanks!
This line will always operate as an LRT as that's what it's been designed for from the outset. Asides from the vehicles which will change once the current LRVs reach the end of their life, the line itself wont be replaced in anyway. Ontario Line trains will be high floor models, while Crosstown line vehicles will always be a low-floor design.

This line will always operate as an LRT as that's what it's been designed for from the outset. Asides from the vehicles which will change once the current LRVs reach the end of their life, the line itself wont be replaced in anyway. Ontario Line trains will be high floor models, while Crosstown line vehicles will always be a low-floor design.
What about creating an elevated segment from Don Mills... similar to the elevated portion of OL.

Back