News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Whatever I'm just trying to say that other than a few people who know about that no one actually cares as long as they work and we actually can get into the stations and we can also find out how transfers between the existing TTC stations will be. It doesn't matter what type of fare gates they are because the general public who will be using them don't care so why do we need to make a big deal about them.

You clearly haven't seen how they don't work well in multiple stations during rush, nor compared it against similar fare gate systems in other locales where the passenger flux is far higher. Then again, constant improvement seem to have escaped TTC mentality for years. Lord forbid people should want better!

AoD

You clearly haven't seen how they don't work well in multiple stations during rush, nor compared it against similar fare gate systems in other locales where the passenger flux is far higher. Then again, constant improvement seem to have escaped TTC mentality for years. Lord forbid people should want better!

AoD
I have been to many stations in rush hour and the problem isn't the gates it's the people who don't have their presto cards ready and are standing in front of the gate, it's also the people who think they have to wait until the gate closes before they tap or the people who tap on the screen or stand inside of the gate and tap and wonder why nothing happens. It doesn't matter what type of gates we have all of those problems will still exist and it will probably be worse because of people using credit cards and debit cards without taking them out of their wallets or still not knowing when to tap.

I'm sorry but I don't really see any difference between the two types of gates in the way that some people seem to and quite frankly I don't think anyone else in Toronto will either or care as much about it as some people on here do.

I have been to many stations in rush hour and the problem isn't the gates it's the people who don't have their presto cards ready and are standing in front of the gate, it's also the people who think they have to wait until the gate closes before they tap or the people who tap on the screen or stand inside of the gate and tap and wonder why nothing happens. It doesn't matter what type of gates we have all of those problems will still exist and it will probably be worse because of people using credit cards and debit cards without taking them out of their wallets or still not knowing when to tap.

I'm sorry but I don't really see any difference between the two types of gates in the way that some people seem to and quite frankly I don't think anyone else in Toronto will either or care as much about it as some people on here do.
That is untrue. I have my Presto card out and ready to tap as I enter the station (so long before I get to the gate) and I have to stop each time because the gate does not open fast enough to match my walking speed. I have tried to wave my umbrella in front of me even, but they still aren't fast enough at opening. If the Ottawa gates allow tapping further back from the gates themselves, there will be less stopping.

That is untrue. I have my Presto card out and ready to tap as I enter the station (so long before I get to the gate) and I have to stop each time because the gate does not open fast enough to match my walking speed. I have tried to wave my umbrella in front of me even, but they still aren't fast enough at opening. If the Ottawa gates allow tapping further back from the gates themselves, there will be less stopping.
Whatever I'm not going to argue about this as it's getting pointless. I understand that some people it might make a difference for but for others they don't really care or notice it.

I simply haven't observed this, unless I'm speed walking.

Except at the wheelchair gates. Are you perhaps using the wheelchair gates?

Chaplin station looking good
Screenshot 2023-04-03 at 3.33.26 PM.png

Another look at the fare gates - these are at Avenue Station
Screenshot 2023-04-03 at 3.33.34 PM.png

It is? I suppose the bare concrete walls have been aptly constructed.
well.. bare concrete is part of the chic minimalist modernist industrial design these days. until water starts to leak in....

but honestly the fact that these stations are ready to go and sitting dormant for months is a clear indicator of poor construction/operations management. the dollars are just flying off these stations with no revenue and the taxpayers are burning their cash to keep the lights water and hvac on for nothing.
well run projects would have had these done with minimal dormant periods like this.

Chaplin Station concourse reminds me of the underground Confed Line stations in Ottawa. Not a compliment, but not the worst thing either.

I'm not sure the issue is the gates at all. Sure if you have gates where you scan then walk an additional step or two to go through the gate it may allow for more delay in fare processing without stopping passengers on their tracks, but in the end that isn't necessary if the fare processing is faster. On the bus where there is no gate, I'm still delayed by the fact the Presto device isn't quick enough to detect and process my card. It should be tap and instant beep. Why do I need to tap and hold it there so often? They really need to solve this lag time.

Back