News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

IIRC it's only a stop instead of a station though. @ $100M + i'd agree it's ridiculous to build an underground station, but for the additional cost of a stop it seems reasonable. The NE corner could certainly be redeveloped over the coming years, and the stop would likely help with that

IIRC it's only a stop instead of a station though. @ $100M + i'd agree it's ridiculous to build an underground station, but for the additional cost of a stop it seems reasonable. The NE corner could certainly be redeveloped over the coming years, and the stop would likely help with that

The cost of a Leslie station is the lack of a grade separated line through to Don Mills which will limit full service to there, massive construction disruption at the launch shaft, and interference with traffic at the Leslie intersection which has a large number of left turning vehicles.

And this is all thanks to Metrolinx's weakness and rush to appease a few non transit riders who wanted to use the stop to increase their own property values.

Last edited:
The cost of a Leslie station is the lack of a grade separated line through to Don Mills which will limit full service to there, massive construction disruption at the launch shaft, and interference with traffic at the Leslie intersection which has a large number of left turning vehicles.

And this is all thanks to Metrolinx's weakness and rush to appease a few non transit riders who wanted to use the stop to increase their own property values.

So if there are so few of them why appease them? I mean what if people came out to say that Avenue Road needed a stop or Spadina. Then what? Would they then see who has the most people coming out and give them the stop?

So if there are so few of them why appease them? I mean what if people came out to say that Avenue Road needed a stop or Spadina. Then what? Would they then see who has the most people coming out and give them the stop?

Just wait until the LRT is closer to opening. The amount of people complaining that their bus stop will be removed will reach epic levels. I've seen it in person at public meetings.

Well at least once the LRT is close to opening nothing can be done in terms of adding more stops. Why would Metrolinx care if people complain. They are not elected and the MPP can say he is trying to get an LRT station for a particular street (even if he knows it won't happen) and thats it.

Age and development wise, those cities would be like great-grandfathers whereas Toronto is a young adolescent. Patience is a virtue.

Yes and most of those cities have way larger population. But anyways this isn't really the right thread to discuss that, it seems.

Age and development wise, those cities would be like great-grandfathers whereas Toronto is a young adolescent. Patience is a virtue.

No offense, but a better analogy is that Toronto is more like a malnourished child in a developing world where each passing time would only make things worse....

No offense, but a better analogy is that Toronto is more like a malnourished child in a developing world where each passing time would only make things worse....

Nope, even developing countries have large transit systems.

Just going through Wikipedia, Istanbul, Kiev, Bucharest, Tehran, Santiago, Kuala Lampur, Sao Palao, Rio De Janeiro, Buenos Aires currently have a bigger metro system than us and are expanding at a much faster rate than we are.

There are a few more in China, SouthEast Asia, and Lagos that are building an entire system of comparable or bigger size to what we have currently from scratch, to be opened in a few years.

I think the biggest shock by far is Los Angeles, a city that is by all means entirely car-dominated, that is building lines non-stop. And its residents are even supportive and happy to pay taxes for it!

From a developed world perspective and a North American one, my understanding is that the best time to develop a subway network in a relatively cheap way was the early 1900's. That's when many networks like NYC, Chicago, Boston, Philly were built, same with Paris, London. Currently I believe we're in the ballpark of Chicago & Boston in terms of population, but back then we were a much smaller city than those. Things like cost of labour, safety regulations, accessibility requirements, and property prices now make building transit more expensive in the developed world.

Population of cities in 1900:

Old City of Toronto: 208,000
What is now the City of Toronto, the “416″: 238,000
Island of Manhattan: 1.8 million
New York City: 3.4 million
Paris: Over 3 million
Greater London: Over 6 million

In North America, most of the cities listed above haven't built many new lines in the later quarter of the 20th century. In the west coast, many of the new transit lines are LRTs. I believe that LA's new LRT lines are often along hydro corridors or rail corridors, so they don't involve expensive tunnelling. Portland has been building LRTs, Vancouver uses Skytrain.

Chinese cities and other developing countries are probably at a similar stage as say NYC back in the early 1900's, except possibly even more so with bigger populations, no regulations or restrictions and cheap labour. Their city's populations are 5x-10x Toronto, so it's not even comparable.

Interesting post on this:
http://stevemunro.ca/?p=9275

Back