News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Special Metrolinx Board Meeting on Crosstown Station Naming

TORONTO, January 12, 2016 – The public is invited to listen to the live audio webcast of a special teleconference meeting of the Metrolinx Board of Directors on Thursday, January 14, 2016 to hear staff recommendations on final station names for the Eglinton Line. The special meeting is necessary to fulfil the deadline stipulated in the contract and allow Crosslinx Transit Solutions to finalize their design submittals, including details like quantities for signage and tiling.

Metrolinx Board Chair J. Robert S. Prichard and CEO Bruce McCuaig will host the teleconference with board members.

·Date: Thursday, January 14, 2016

·Time: 2:00 p.m. (approximately 30 minutes)

The agenda for the meeting is available online here. The report will be posted shortly.

The audio of the meeting will be posted on the website following the meeting.

Hopefully we don't get anything stupid as a name choice like what they've done to the perfectly suitable "Steeles West" getting brandished as a "Pioneer Village".

We already pretty much know that similar to Pioneer Village station which is named for a close-by attraction, the station at Don Mills is going to be named Science Centre, that Aga Khan is likely to be in the name of the next stop, and that they're going for neighbourhood names where the street already has a subway station named after it, eg. Fairbank for Dufferin. If you don't like the Pioneer Village name, you're not going to like some of the Crosstown station names.

I don't like Vaughan Metropolitan Centre. Which Crostown stations will I hate too?

Since they're going with Vaughan Metropolitan Centre Station, that might be why the Dufferin Station on the Crosstown wouldn't be named "Vaughan Station", after the street going diagonally southeast from that intersection.

Yeah, that's the one I hate. Vaughan should have been told to grow up, and that Vaughan Centre was enough. Vaughan deserves all the ridicule it's been getting and more. They invited it themselves.

But they have a few condos there. Does that not make it the centre of the entire metropolitan?

When I think metropolitan centre, I think of more like Union Station, since it is the central transit hub of the entire GTA metropolitan region of 7 million residents; not a suburb of roughly a mere 300,000 residents.

Since there's a Hakim Optical on the southeast corner of Bathurst and Eglinton, they could rename that one Hakimi, appeasing both the Forest Hill Metrolinx board members and the Scarborough politicians who want a stop named Hakimi.

You're welcome.

Special Metrolinx board meeting tomorrow about station names. Lebovic, Forest Hill and Fairbank were questioned by the board, and after further examination, they are only proposing to change Lebovic to Hakimi.
wow. I'm furious, they're keeping the old names AND changing one of them to Hakimi?
And what's with the pressure of the January 20 date? As if they're forcing the board to just accept the recommendations because they ran out of time.
I'm sure I'm not the only one who is outraged about this. I urge you all to write Mr. Prichard about this prior to the meeting:
Robert.Prichard@metrolinx.com

Back