News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

When it was a TTC project, which is probably earlier than you are thinking here, the first phase was Eglinton West Station, (Yes I'm going to keep calling it that) to Martin Grove. then going east in sections to Kennedy, then back to the west end to connect to the Airport.
Exactly. Also I dislike the names that Metrolinx their hired wayfinding expert, random people who will probably never use the line and a bunch of local council members decided on. They should have just kept the same type of names as the TTC did. Eglinton West could have just been named Eglinton West/ Allen road but they thought that people would get confused about it. Honestly I think more people are going to be confused about the names they picked then they would be if they had used street names.

View attachment 332683

Don't know if it's a known issue, but a lot of the orange signs along the Crosstown are bowing...
Perfect reason to replace them with TTC livery. This is one of the dumbest most vainglorious exercises in corporate vanity I have ever seen and to top it off it’s between two government agencies with our tax dollars. Stupid. In Toronto, “T” is for TTC shortcomings and all. Metrolinx projects would cost half if construction were the only activity.

Part 3 of 3 taken at Caledonia station on July 5, 2021:

IMG_0880.jpg
IMG_0881.jpg
IMG_0882.jpg
IMG_0883.jpg
IMG_0884.jpg
IMG_0885.jpg
IMG_0886.jpg
IMG_0887.jpg
IMG_0888.jpg

I don't think this gets done by next year, you travel around sites and you don't see anyone working at most of these sites
Anyone have any updates or predictions on opening. I originally thought Ford would want to open it by election next June but that seems impossible at this point! Doesn't seem like we are going to get the whole line operational until end of 2023 at the earliest it seems.

I live on Eglinton on the above grade portion and have not seen trains being tested... I guess the testing has gotten delayed.

Anyone have any updates or predictions on opening. I originally thought Ford would want to open it by election next June but that seems impossible at this point! Doesn't seem like we are going to get the whole line operational until end of 2023 at the earliest it seems.

I live on Eglinton on the above grade portion and have not seen trains being tested... I guess the testing has gotten delayed.
I'm going with December of next year at the earliest but I think it depends on how complete the line is and if they can do full testing on the whole line from Mount Denis to Kennedy.

More likely they discovered "concerns" or "errors" that need to be "tweaked".

It does seem that the previous September 2020 and September 2021 timelines were disingenuous at best and actively misleading at worst. There's no way either of those was going to be met, underpinning delays and COVID or not. My guess for the line opening is late next year. Some stations are still pouring concrete, as people have pointed out. There's a tremendous amount of work that still needs to be done, and ML announcing Sept 2021 a while ago was ridiculous.

It does seem that the previous September 2020 and September 2021 timelines were disingenuous at best and actively misleading at worst. There's no way either of those was going to be met, underpinning delays and COVID or not. My guess for the line opening is late next year. Some stations are still pouring concrete, as people have pointed out. There's a tremendous amount of work that still needs to be done, and ML announcing Sept 2021 a while ago was ridiculous.
People can still use it if the landscaping is not done. Seen many a subdivision or condo development where people move in as they are still working on the project.

From my experience with the Crossrail project here in London - beware of substantial further delays, especially given that the rail + signalling isn't finished yet.

The moving block signalling for the tunnels combined with manual operation on the surface - ensuring that the "handshake" between the signalling systems works is super important - this caused the Muni Meltdown in San Francisco in 1998, and ensuring that 4 (yes, four!) digital signalling systems are all talking to each other and working correctly caused many delays in the Crossrail project.

That's before you get to other things off to the top of my head that could cause delays - especially when they are interdependent!
  • linking Line 5 to TTC Transit Control and any issues you find there,
  • ensuring all the CCTV cameras work and are pointed at the right things - OPTO cameras can very fiddly to get right!
  • getting all of the new ticket machines and fare gates fully working,
  • signing off fire safety certifications for significantly more Underground stations at once (when would be the last time that 14+ Underground stations opened all at once in Canada?),
  • proper substantive testing and trial operations of all of the new rolling stock over all of the line,
  • Hoping that contractors have not been lying through their teeth about contract progress so that Crosslinx pays them,
  • Hoping that lower level staff have been correctly passing bad news to their bosses about delays/issues
  • Getting Crosslinx, TTC, City and Metrolinx to correctly agree who's problem is who's - remember Ottawa's Confederation Line and who had the power of "final completion" signoff?

Has anyone been watching LRT train testing anywhere along the east line from Kennedy to Leslie? Any Videos of Dynamic Testing?

Has anyone been watching LRT train testing anywhere along the east line from Kennedy to Leslie? Any Videos of Dynamic Testing?

Nothing has been going on out my way (that I could see) for the past couple weeks. I am always out along Eglinton from Kennedy to Pharmacy.

I've gone multiple times looking but they seem to have been in storage at science centre pretty much since a week or two after they arrived.
I went along the entire Scarborough section today and most of the work on the tracks and stops seems done at this point, but they're still working on the streetscape and getting around is an absolute nightmare if you're on foot or biking.

Back