News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Seeing the map of the Eglinton line with a station simply designated "Eglinton" really highlights the stupidity of leaving that name the same. It boggles my mind that they want to change Eglinton West, but not Eglinton itself.

Can someone explain why Metrolinx thought it was too difficult to rename Eglinton to Eglinton-Yonge? Bloor became Bloor-Yonge with Line 2's opening, and Sheppard became Sheppard-Yonge with Line 4's opening.

Can someone explain why Metrolinx thought it was too difficult to rename Eglinton to Eglinton-Yonge? Bloor became Bloor-Yonge with Line 2's opening, and Sheppard became Sheppard-Yonge with Line 4's opening.
Line 2 opened with a "Yonge Station" not "Bloor-Yonge Station". You can still see only Yonge is written on the station wall tiles and as heard on the T1 trains. The station on Line 1 is "Bloor Station". Bloor-Yonge only appeared on maps and transfers back then and now on the TR trains. In fact on Line 1, the old T1 train announcements were still referring Sheppard-Yonge as "Sheppard Station". A few years back, Brad Ross described renaming Sheppard to Sheppard-Yonge was a mistake. They should kept it as Sheppard. So they did so for Eglinton Station.

So those of us healthcare workers coming from Danforth via perhaps line 2 and the (current) 56 will have to take the 51 to Laird, Line 5 one stop, and 11 to Sunnybrook. Extra transfer no matter what. I suggested running some routes as 56 Sunnybrook buses. I guess there are too few of us. 🙄

That's assuming that you schedule your trip to catch one of the every-24-minute 56s. If you miss it, then you either wait for the next one, or you take the 56B which comes in between and transfer at Laird & Eglinton - which will be the same as that future trip once the Crosstown opens.

Yes, the extra transfer sucks, but on the bright side it does add a lot more flexibility to your schedule.

Dan

It really makes you worried about the people in charge of our transit, no?

Seeing the map of the Eglinton line with a station simply designated "Eglinton" really highlights the stupidity of leaving that name the same. It boggles my mind that they want to change Eglinton West, but not Eglinton itself.
Metrolinx's standard is not to repeat names in the system, so this gives Line 5 only one Eglinton. BUT... they seem to have no issue owning a GO station in Scarborough with the very same name. Really, Line 1/5's Eglinton Station should be "Eglinton-Yonge" to keep the TTC standard. I also think "Eglinton Centre" or "Midtown" could work as alternatives.

Last edited:
Metrolinx's standard is not to repeat names in the system, so this gives Line 5 only one Eglinton. BUT... they seem to have no issue owning a GO station in Scarborough with the very same name. Really, Eglinton Station should be "Eglinton-Yonge" to keep the TTC standard. I also think "Eglinton Centre" or "Midtown" could work as alternatives.
I would prefer the "Centre" epithet be reserved for the "dowtowns" of municipalities, like North York Centre or Scarborough Centre. Honestly you could get away with calling Mount Dennis "York Centre" since that was to be its name back during the Eglinton West Subway era. Similarly we could if we were so inclined rename Thorncliff Park station on the OL, "East York Centre". Or at the very least give them these names as subtitles like how Bay has Yorkville as a subtitle. Eglinton would be better off as Eglinton-Yonge to keep tradition and I would hope Queen will be renamed "Queen-Yonge" when the OL opens.

I would prefer the "Centre" epithet be reserved for the "dowtowns" of municipalities, like North York Centre or Scarborough Centre. Honestly you could get away with calling Mount Dennis "York Centre" since that was to be its name back during the Eglinton West Subway era. Similarly we could if we were so inclined rename Thorncliff Park station on the OL, "East York Centre". Or at the very least give them these names as subtitles like how Bay has Yorkville as a subtitle. Eglinton would be better off as Eglinton-Yonge to keep tradition and I would hope Queen will be renamed "Queen-Yonge" when the OL opens.
Then how about Midtown Centre? I kid, sort of.

Personally, I would accept "CITY HALL" as the Ontario Line's station at Yonge Street.

Yeah but now everything thinks North Toronto is Finch/Steeles area. So its confusing
1280px-North_Toronto_map.PNG

Location of North Toronto in Toronto

From link.
The former town was bounded on the south by Moore Avenue east to Bayview Avenue, north to Eglinton Avenue, west to Bruce, north to Fairfield, west to the west boundary of Mount Hope Cemetery, then north to north of Glen Echo, west to Yonge, north to north of McNairn Avenue, then west to a line just west of Elm Road. The boundary continues south to just north of Glenview Avenue and Avenue Road, then west to a line with Proudfoot Avenue, then south to just north of Briar Hill, then south on Castlewood to Roselawn, then south on Latimer to Eglinton Avenue. The boundary continues east on Eglinton to Elmsthorpe, then south to the former rail line south of Chaplin Crescent, then east to Yonge.

From link.
The town of North Toronto was incorporated in 1890. It was formed as the result of an amalgamation between Davisville Village, Eglinton Village, and Bedford Park Village.

At the time of its incorporation, North Toronto was primarily an agricultural farming community. However, large parcels of land in North Toronto were already subdivided, and were being held by speculators.

The actual building of houses in this area began in the 1890’s, when the Metropolitan Street Railway, made North Toronto the northernmost stop on its five cent line from downtown Toronto.

By the early 1900’s, North Toronto had emerged as one of Toronto’s most popular commuter suburbs. However, frustrated by the poor level of municipal services being offered by the Town, North Toronto residents voted in favour of Annexation to the City of Toronto on December 15, 1912. North Toronto filled in quickly after annexation and was completely developed by the 1940’s.

Back