News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Leslie has connections to 3 minor roads between Eglinton and Lawrence, and Eglinton has just the connection to the Celestica site so how many are we really inconveniencing here by eliminating the left? If you are coming from far enough North you would probably just avoid the intersection by turning at Lawrence and coming down Don Mills instead.
I think there's a reason there are double left turn lanes from Eglinton eastbound to Leslie.

Why dismiss the entire article? The point about Metrolinx trying to convince Toronto to allow proactive TSP, and Toronto not budging on the status quo was accurate. If BlogTO's readership understands how much their own city's department is working against them, as we already see on Spadina and on St. Clair, all the better.

The 510 is lumbering, kneecapped garbage, but it doesn't need to be. Same goes for a partially at-grade line 5 LRT.
What route the what and what!? Bad enough you defend blogto but then you mention several other completely unrelated issues and routes. Stay on topic please!

Meanwhile, in another provincial capital city...

Use the auto-translate settings on Youtube...

See https://tramwaydequebec-info.translate.goog/?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

Quebec City tramway finally gets green light as province gives unconditional approval

See link.

tramway-quebec-city.jpg

The Legault government has finally authorized Quebec City to launch its long-delayed tramway project and Mayor Bruno Marchand says he's ready to get started.

"We have many environmental issues that we have to address. And we have to deliver solutions. This is a great solution," Marchand said on Wednesday after cabinet approved decrees without any of the conditions that had previously been discussed.

Quebec Transport Minister François Bonnardel said it is now up to the city's mayor to better communicate the benefits of the tramway project in order to convince as many citizens as possible.

And that's just what Marchand began that very afternoon, touting the importance of a project that he said will help carry the city into a more environmentally friendly future by reducing emissions and improving mobility.

"It's the best way to respond to some of the big environmental challenges that we face," he said.

Premier François Legault and his government had voiced concerns over the project's potential impact on vehicular traffic.

The government demanded better social acceptability before authorizing the tramway and was at first saying the adoption of related ministerial decrees would be conditional on the development of shared streets along the route.

Last month, Marchand harshly criticized the Legault government for standing in the way of the project.
Then on Tuesday, Legault said he was not going to interfere in the powers of the city by remodeling "the layout and the detail."

"It will be up to the mayor of Quebec City to decide how he does that," he told reporters.

Bonnardel said regardless of the unconditional decrees, the provincial government still expects a certain level of social acceptability for the project. However, he declined to delve further into what that means.

"Everyone can have their own definition of social acceptability. I have mine. I will keep it to myself," he said.

Clash between city, province​

This should put an end to the first head-to-head clash between the Coalition Avenir Québec government and Quebec City's new mayor, but Marchand says that's not what's important.

"It's not about the ego of the mayor. It's all about the citizens of Quebec," said Marchand, who expects the tramway to be up and running on city streets by 2028.
He said this project is about carrying the city into the future, getting motorists off the road and reducing emissions in a time when environmental issues are urgent.

"We have to act and we have to act quickly," he said.

The project, which will cost at least $4 billion, has been delayed by several months, and the Liberal opposition said last week that each day of delay costs the project $274,000.

The Quebec government's decision has unlocked $124 million to begin preparations. Construction is to start in the summer of 2023.

Labeaume's dream passed down to new mayor​

Quebec City's tramway was longtime mayor Régis Labeaume's passion project but was passed on to Marchand when Labeaume retired from municipal politics in November 2021.

Quebec City and the province have gone back and forth for years on the proposed route — whether it would be part of an eventual third link between Quebec City and Lévis, and how the tramway would be incorporated into existing city infrastructure.
They finally reached a verbal agreement on a redesign just over a year ago, and since then, it's just been a matter of these final decrees.

Now with the project moving forward, Marchand said he has work to do when it comes to convincing all Quebec City residents of the project's importance.

Some residents will never see it his way, he said, but he is determined to make a difference for future generations.

"We greatly appreciate today that we are able to move forward on time to deliver according to the deadlines that we have promised," Marchand said.
1649517710728.png

The underground insertion of the tramway in the Parliament Hill sector responds to technical requirements induced by the steep gradient between Lower Town and Upper Town. The tunnel thus overcomes these constraints by reducing the intensity of the slope to be crossed. With an approximate length of 1.8 km, the tunnel is planned to connect the Jean-Paul-L'Allier garden in Saint-Roch to Turnbull Avenue in the Saint-Jean-Baptiste district.

Last edited:

I'll use the auto translate setting in my head, merci ;)

Is that the actual design of the LRT being used? Because my god it is true what they say about French Canadians, damn are they better looking.

Should we call boarding Line 5, "Le Tramway"? May sound more "upper class" using "le tramway" instead of "light rail", "subway", or as the Ford Nation calls it, "streetcars".

While Quebec City is WIDENING their sidewalks and narrowing the roadway, it is the opposite for Toronto. Toronto has to narrow the sidewalk to keep left turn lanes.

Toronto's Transportation Department forced left turns lane and signals on Eglinton. Toronto did away with the "Michigan turn" in the plans.
MichiganLeft_graphic.png
From link.

Looks like with Quebec City, they are "looking" at something like that. From link.

My priority in car: connect point A to point B quickly​

While circulating in the city, several paths exist to connect a point A to a point B.

In your car, do you often wonder how many left turns are allowed to get to your destination? You are more likely to be looking for the fastest possible route. Using your knowledge of the route or an app like Google Maps.

The route may change depending on traffic conditions and signage. For example…
  • signs prohibiting left turns during rush hour
  • a median which forces you to cross a few streets further
2022-02-21-trajetavant.jpg
Each route is made up of roads and intersections that allow you to perform several movements (eg straight line, right turn, left turn).
2022-02-21-trajetapres.jpg
When a left turn is prohibited, it is possible to take a parallel lane. You can also make a triple right turn to cross the artery.
These situations already exist in Quebec. Most of the time, it's to smooth traffic and ensure everyone's safety.

Last edited:
I thought that it was all going to be completed for the opening of the line. They had the studies done and as they are pouring the curbs and sidewalks at the stations they seem to be aligning to the "mega map" that existed to show the streetscape along the entire route. I can't seem to find the mega map online anymore... but the curbs poured at Keelesdale and at Duplex match the plan.

Quebec City is planning to put in their own tramway. See link. You may have to use an online translator, from French to English, to read it if you don't know French.

From Présentation sur l’insertion de surface du tramway dans les quartiers Montcalm et Saint-Jean-Baptiste (PDF)

If I comprehend this right, the tramway (LRT) surface platforms will be heated in winter. Which means that there maybe no snow accumulating much on the platforms.
1649641859782.png

Translation software below...
1649641905695.png

1649641954933.png

Translation software below...
1649642000327.png

1649642090913.png

1649642143612.png

Overall, the Quebec City tramway is more pedestrian and transit friendly, than the Eglinton Crosstown. The Eglinton Crosstown is more friendly to the single-occupant automobile.

English translation link.

What route the what and what!? Bad enough you defend blogto but then you mention several other completely unrelated issues and routes. Stay on topic please!
Um what? I mentioned Line 5, the topic of this thread.

You are not a mod, and in any case you don't get to control the opinions of others. You would do well to heed your own advice to stay on topic.

Back