News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Just to be fair, raising property taxes would cool the housing market and reduce the City's MLTT take. Which has become a substantial revenue item in the last decade, I believe. Something like $800m - 1b? Don't remember the exact figure. But I imagine it would shrink 30-50% in line with the aforementioned property tax increase.

ooh this is new to me, the flexities will have the iconic blue TTC lights on them.
Actually, the blue lights mean the vehicle is handicap accessible. The TTC streetcar's greenish bullseye light is unique to Toronto. See link for more information.
img_7929-001.jpg

The cost of growth should be covered by tax on growth, and the cost to maintain or evolve should be covered by stable state taxes that are not dependent on growth or change. Taxes on things that do harm should have their revenues focused on reversing that harm.

Taxes on people flipping real estate is a tax to reduce harm... it isn't growth because there isn't new capacity, and isn't stable state because it is property changing hands, but it does have a negative impact on affordable housing taking one unit that someone may have been able to afford and turning it into a unit they may not longer be able to afford.

ooh this is new to me, the flexities will have the iconic blue TTC lights on them.
Each time I see a Crosstown test video, I lose a little more hope that it will operate at a reasonable speed.
From what I continue to see, the Crosstown is behaving like streetcars do: slowly, cautiously, trepidatiously rolling through intersections, even when there's no switch.
I wonder if it will randomly stop at green lights, and also wait for oncoming LRTs to pass by before it starts moving, lest the oncoming LRT somehow change tracks and smash into it. It's moving slowly, even for approaching a stop.

Each time I see a Crosstown test video, I lose a little more hope that it will operate at a reasonable speed.
From what I continue to see, the Crosstown is behaving like streetcars do: slowly, cautiously, trepidatiously rolling through intersections, even when there's no switch.
I wonder if it will randomly stop at green lights, and also wait for oncoming LRTs to pass by before it starts moving, lest the oncoming LRT somehow change tracks and smash into it. It's moving slowly, even for approaching a stop.
Well I mean they're still in-testing (not regular speed testing yet) so that's the reason why you see them operate slowly.

But make no mistake, the TTC will find ways to screw up the operation and make it needlessly slower than it needs to be. If only one could get their hands on the Standard Operating Procedures for this line.

Well I mean they're still in-testing (not regular speed testing yet) so that's the reason why you see them operate slowly.

But make no mistake, the TTC will find ways to screw up the operation and make it needlessly slower than it needs to be. If only one could get their hands on the Standard Operating Procedures for this line.
Actually, it is the Toronto Transportation Department and the accountants. The Transportation Department "makes up" rules that the TTC has to follow, to make sure that the single-occupant automobile remains first on the roads of Toronto (IE. transit non-priority traffic signals). The accountants refuse to provide the needed funding to make pubic transit the best, instead of the cheapest.

Actually, it is the Toronto Transportation Department and the accountants. The Transportation Department "makes up" rules that the TTC has to follow, to make sure that the single-occupant automobile remains first on the roads of Toronto (IE. transit non-priority traffic signals). The accountants refuse to provide the needed funding to make pubic transit the best, instead of the cheapest.
There's no doubt that Toronto Transportation Services is a joke and has been single handedly been responsible for screwing up streetcar services in Toronto for decades.

But we cant excuse the TTC for operating routes like complete idiots. There's things that are very much in their control, and they choose not to control them.

Back