News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

A little bit of weirdness going on the TTC twitter service account today, mentioning Line 5, probably testing out alerts.

Which have since vanished.
I got a screencap:

1659038453177.png

It's ridiculous that they build the surface part with absolute zero transit priority and still make it catered to cars. It's like saying "You can build on this property, but you have to follow the rules".
I thought they have signal priority if they are running late?

Lol I think they're trying to project and foreshadow that they will be having operational issues with the line the minute that it opens. Let's remember, we're talking about an organization that cannot properly manage virtually anything (as evidenced by the tweet itself).

It will have catch up TSP but it will be limited to extending the green light something like 4 seconds. Useless.
Damn. What's strange is that every video I've seen of line 5 shows it lumbering along the surface section super slowly. But if you've seen the line 6 videos in its thread, it appears to run so much faster. I doubt that line 6 has better TSP than line 5.

Damn. What's strange is that every video I've seen of line 5 shows it lumbering along the surface section super slowly.
Keep in mind that some of the underground stations still have people working at or near track level also they may not yet be ready to test fully in service levels. The TTC when the line 1 extension opened ran trains slowly at first and it wasn't until about 3 months before opening when the ghost service began when after emptying at Sheppard West every train then made every stop to Vaughn as if they had passengers on board. A lot of that testing wasn't seen by the general public because it was underground. Once more work is completed on all of the underground stations we will probably start to see more testing and probably simulated service.
But if you've seen the line 6 videos in its thread, it appears to run so much faster. I doubt that line 6 has better TSP than line 5.
It's a much shorter line and has only two stations that are underground neither of which seems to have had trains yet, at this point in time I wouldn't be surprised if they both open at the same time

Another articling stating EGLRT opening pushed to next year (2023).

I wonder what MTO/IO/Metrolinx's strategy is here? Will they just announce the line is completed at the tail end of 2022 and pass on the buck to TTC to announce an opening date. Basically washing their hands clean and acting as if they passed the line onto the city in 2022 and its TTC's fault they couldn't make it operational this year?

Only thing that makes sense at this point or else now that the elections are over an announcement of a delay to 2023 would have been made.

I had business on Eglinton this weekend and drove through from Mt Dennis to Caledonia.

I was astonished by the absence of orange and black pylons….. the construction encroachments on the street are finally pretty much gone.

It’s not pretty yet, lots of remediation and improvement to the street are needed, but it sure is a relief after all these years of disruption.

It may still be months away, but it’s finally actually happening.

- Paul

They won’t say when even if they know until an official media release. We know it won’t be in the next 3 months because that’s impossible.

Keep in mind that some of the underground stations still have people working at or near track level also they may not yet be ready to test fully in service levels. The TTC when the line 1 extension opened ran trains slowly at first and it wasn't until about 3 months before opening when the ghost service began when after emptying at Sheppard West every train then made every stop to Vaughn as if they had passengers on board. A lot of that testing wasn't seen by the general public because it was underground. Once more work is completed on all of the underground stations we will probably start to see more testing and probably simulated service.

It's a much shorter line and has only two stations that are underground neither of which seems to have had trains yet, at this point in time I wouldn't be surprised if they both open at the same time

Interesting, but I don't think that would explain the perceived difference, which is all above ground, because Metrolinx themselves have stated that line 5 is at full-speed testing. Whether or not there are workers on the tracks underground should affect how long an LRV dwells at an advance-left signal.

As for the line 6 running mostly at surface, again that doesn't explain why it seems to be running faster than line 5. The surface section is where I would expect the service to be slower.
I agree that it looks like both lines will open at around the same time.

Back