News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Now hear me out...
I probably don't have the best ideas but I have been thinking about this. If the LRT gets long enough it may need to be split into two. It's not like there are no long "subway" lines in the world, but Line 5 is uniquely split into a long grade separated section and a long section that is not. The western extension will be grade separated, and the airport leg will (I would only assume) be grade separated. In some future reality the line could even go down the Mississauga Transitway and get a short elevated section to Square One! Meanwhile in the east, any extension will be at-grade. They are even proposing a "Line 7" since apparently connecting directly at Kennedy is too hard.
So why not split the line (eventually) at (hear me out!) Science Centre Station! 🎉
All you would need to do is remove ONE at-grade crossing at Sunnybrook Park. It would make Lines 5, 7, and 3 all converge on one station. And it would split the increasingly longer and longer at-grade and grade separated LRT sections.

Or, again, maybe I'm missing something. Like, load balancing or some nerdy thing.
Maybe I'm also just obsessed with having more individual lines with their own numbers. (WOAH, SEVEN!)
Perhaps it's not the best thing in the world to have a linear transfer. But that's what they are proposing at Kennedy anyway + you could probably choose to either through-run or short turn trains at Science Centre ANYWAY despite it being two lines in order to balance service. You would then argue that that means it may as well be one line then, BUT I think:

A) It marks very clearly a split between two lines with different operating modes.
B) If you are short turning trains on a single line, that is awkward for the customer, instead of:
C) If you were traveling east towards Science Centre and wanted to keep going, you already know you have to change trains. An announcement that the train is through-running is a nice announcement, versus the announcement that would be involved in the above example, which would be a negative one informing you that your train, despite traveling on the same line, is not continuing.

That's my two cents anyway.

🤣

Now hear me out...
I probably don't have the best ideas but I have been thinking about this. If the LRT gets long enough it may need to be split into two. It's not like there are no long "subway" lines in the world, but Line 5 is uniquely split into a long grade separated section and a long section that is not. The western extension will be grade separated, and the airport leg will (I would only assume) be grade separated. In some future reality the line could even go down the Mississauga Transitway and get a short elevated section to Square One! Meanwhile in the east, any extension will be at-grade. They are even proposing a "Line 7" since apparently connecting directly at Kennedy is too hard.
So why not split the line (eventually) at (hear me out!) Science Centre Station! 🎉
All you would need to do is remove ONE at-grade crossing at Sunnybrook Park. It would make Lines 5, 7, and 3 all converge on one station. And it would split the increasingly longer and longer at-grade and grade separated LRT sections.

Or, again, maybe I'm missing something. Like, load balancing or some nerdy thing.
Maybe I'm also just obsessed with having more individual lines with their own numbers. (WOAH, SEVEN!)
Perhaps it's not the best thing in the world to have a linear transfer. But that's what they are proposing at Kennedy anyway + you could probably choose to either through-run or short turn trains at Science Centre ANYWAY despite it being two lines in order to balance service. You would then argue that that means it may as well be one line then, BUT I think:

A) It marks very clearly a split between two lines with different operating modes.
B) If you are short turning trains on a single line, that is awkward for the customer, instead of:
C) If you were traveling east towards Science Centre and wanted to keep going, you already know you have to change trains. An announcement that the train is through-running is a nice announcement, versus the announcement that would be involved in the above example, which would be a negative one informing you that your train, despite traveling on the same line, is not continuing.

🤣
Once EWLRT and EELRT are complete, line 5 will indeed be very long.
Although one of my biggest gripes with the TTC is the number of transfers required for most trips, I do see the merit in splitting line 5 into a metro line and an LRT line.
Maybe they could at least try full TSP before going that route though ;)

Does anyone know what's going on with the rest of the land there that was occupied by bus bays? Will they rebuild them?

A reduced number of bus bays will be in a new terminal under the redeveloped Canada Square, assuming the City and Oxford finally come to terms.

The thread for that is here:

Now hear me out...

🤣
Don Mills could be a good place to one day split the line, but constructing a through line at Kennedy is difficult either way, also there is a substantial ridership difference east and west of Kennedy, most westbound riders get on Line 2.

Don Mills could be a good place to one day split the line, but constructing a through line at Kennedy is difficult either way, also there is a substantial ridership difference east and west of Kennedy, most westbound riders get on Line 2.

I haven't actually heard what the reason is for connecting though Kennedy being tough.

Now hear me out...

🤣
The line is heading towards being split at Kennedy. What this will mean is the better option will just be to grade separate the section east of Science Center, and put it out of it's misery.

I haven't actually heard what the reason is for connecting though Kennedy being tough.
The "explanation" being given is that the SSE wasn't designed in a way to easily allow for an eastern extension to Line 5, and as such making 1 continuous line will be expensive and time consuming. However, Metrolinx almost immediately made a statement saying that none of this is true. Given that the city of Toronto has a pretty lengthy history of, let's call it smudging, data to push a specific alignment or design decision that they want to build I'm more willing to believe Metrolinx in this case. The actual reason has likely more to do with making the extension cheaper by allowing them to run smaller trams, and thus save money by not burying certain stations namely Midland and Lawrence-Kingston-Morningside.

A reduced number of bus bays will be in a new terminal under the redeveloped Canada Square, assuming the City and Oxford finally come to terms.

The thread for that is here:

Thanks, NL!

Interesting, but I don't think that would explain the perceived difference, which is all above ground, because Metrolinx themselves have stated that line 5 is at full-speed testing. Whether or not there are workers on the tracks underground should affect how long an LRV dwells at an advance-left signal.
What i ment was we haven't seen full scale service testing of the line yet. The problem is we don't really see them out a lot during the day time that would give a better understanding of how the line is actually going to work, once all of the work on the stations is complete and we have trains running a simulated service we can get a better idea of how it's going to work. As of right now i think people are being to quick to judge on things and not looking at what is actually going on, because they expect everything is going to be working right now as it is on opening day.

Where does it say that?
"It is slated to open next year" - Quote from the article

Metrolinx has not outright confirmed this as well but has stated the contractor will complete their share of work by end of year and transfer it to TTC then. In essence that means it will take TTC a few months to figure out their stuff / training / logistics and probably open early Spring 2023 following the winter. Just my interpretation

Yeah the way it is written makes it sound like they are talking about line 6; but it isn't behind schedule... But that's only in the title *shrug*

Back