News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

IIRC they hit surprise pockets of softer shale, which tended to bring down the ceiling of the excavation beyond what harder rock would have done.
With the TBM? It's almost all in various sublayers of the Queenstown shale - one would expect softer shales. Some of it is almost more like silt than rock, particularly at the boundary with the lower Silurian.

I hadn't realised it was so deep. I haven't been following it closely - I'd have though they would have been higher, to stay out of the Queenston.
1664213649076.png

When did Rob Ford ever get ML to turn the line into heavy rail? The Flexity's were bought and the yard was already designed for LRVs. The line was to be linked with the SRT so heavy rail was near impossible at that time. The only agreement was to turn it into a tunnel using LRVs. ML then decided to pay a premium to reduce the order. As they love to do. They also reduced the order for Citadis when they cut the Hurontario Line's centre loop.

He only succeeded in getting the money spent on the Sheppard LRT grade separation with the Stouffville Line allocated towards ML's own RER expansion budget. Of course nothing was built on Sheppard and that money went towards Finch West instead to use up the Fed's committed funds before they revoke it. The money allocated towards Finch West is then "saved" allowing Queen's Park to uncommit funding to Sheppard East without getting roasted.

All the money "saved" went towards paying premiums for reduced orders and extra costs (e.g. towards Crosstown delays) and taxpayers got nothing in return. Should we be grateful of Queen's Park?

Apologies, he was touting subways everywhere before he got elected, but when he did get elected, he could only bury the rest of the Crosstown line for the reasons that you had mentioned.

It was too late to change the technology being used by the time he was in office.

The issues of the stations werent discovered until well into construction. It turned out the surveys that the TTC provided Metrolinx for underneath Eglinton station were very wrong, and they encountered a lot of unexpected utilities, concrete, garbage from the 1950s subway build etc. It was a disaster that they weren't expecting.
So the TTC isn't perfect? My world is shattered.

Hopefully lessons have been learned. The consequences of a long delay would be far greater to the Ontario Line compared to Eglinton.

The issues of the stations werent discovered until well into construction. It turned out the surveys that the TTC provided Metrolinx for underneath Eglinton station were very wrong, and they encountered a lot of unexpected utilities, concrete, garbage from the 1950s subway build etc. It was a disaster that they weren't expecting.
But again, if you’re not sure what you’re getting into, do that part first. Incomplete surveys from the TTC should have been a warning to Metrolinx to conduct their own comprehensive survey and planning.

Last edited:
But again, if you’re not sure what you’re getting into, so that part first. Incomplete surveys from the TTC should have been a warning to Metrolinx to conduct their own comprehensive survey and planning.
It should also be noted that this should not have been unexpected. Engineering surveys from the 1950s and 1960s are notoriously unreliable.

Dan

With the TBM? It's almost all in various sublayers of the Queenstown shale - one would expect softer shales. Some of it is almost more like silt than rock, particularly at the boundary with the lower Silurian.

I hadn't realised it was so deep. I haven't been following it closely - I'd have though they would have been higher, to stay out of the Queenston.
View attachment 429055
Is this a cross section of a tunnel near Niagara Falls? What's the relation to the Crosstown's underground environment?

This project is immensely complicated, and is one of if not the biggest construction project in the entire company. So much equipment is required for this project that it has caused shortages in the industry.

That doesn't excuse the fact that there months before opening it is delayed a full year. Is Eglinton station the only issue stopping the completion of this project? If trains are able to bypass the station without passengers getting off, would that be a deal breaker?

Back