News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Really a shame that this decision to split the line wasn't made sooner. Letting the grade separated portion be built as high floor light metro instead with PSDs would not only lower the operating cost but allow the line to operate at higher speeds with shorter dwell times at stations.
Can we move these criticisms of what was decided a decade ago to the fantasy thread? I see no value of it being repeated endlessly.

Presumably the TTC was relying on being able to redeploy buses once Crosstown opens and their plans to redirect routes currently trunking along Eglinton kicked in (Leslie, Lawrence East, Leaside). What does this delay do to their fleet allocations for 2023?

if Eglinton West-Cedarvale could open in the near future then Jane-Avenue (turnback) service could run and 13/61/32 handle traffic towards Yonge and Eglinton (with Chaplin/14 possibly taking some people to Davisville instead to avoid the congestion at Eglinton). While Crosslinx might prefer to open it in one shot, they have a large part of the responsibility for this delay; if occupancy can be obtained for all stations west of Yonge it seems unwise to force unnecessary buses onto Eglinton West and trained operators to not be able to put their skills to use.

Presumably the TTC was relying on being able to redeploy buses once Crosstown opens and their plans to redirect routes currently trunking along Eglinton kicked in (Leslie, Lawrence East, Leaside). What does this delay do to their fleet allocations for 2023?

if Eglinton West-Cedarvale could open in the near future then Jane-Avenue (turnback) service could run and 13/61/32 handle traffic towards Yonge and Eglinton (with Chaplin/14 possibly taking some people to Davisville instead to avoid the congestion at Eglinton). While Crosslinx might prefer to open it in one shot, they have a large part of the responsibility for this delay; if occupancy can be obtained for all stations west of Yonge it seems unwise to force unnecessary buses onto Eglinton West and trained operators to not be able to put their skills to use.
I'm suspecting there are more problems than just Eglinton Station. We don't even know if their signal system is functional for a staged opening.

Probably 40kph
West of Keele Street, it USED to be 60 km/h. Went to 40 km/h during construction. The roadway in Etobicoke is DESIGNED for the "safety" of speeders doing 100+km/h, thinking that a sign with 60, 50, or 40 km/h will be obeyed.

Scarlett Road north of the Humber River to Dixon Road used to be 60 km/h. Dixon Road from Scarlett Road to Highway 27 used to be 60 km/h. Both were DESIGNED for the "safety" of speeders doing more than 100km/h. So they put up 50 km/h signs, thinking that would make those roads "safer" for pedestrians.🤣🤣😱😢

Last edited:
The urban transition to suburban just east of Eglinton Flats is where is transitions from 60km/h to 40km/h. Lucky Ford figure out how to set the limit for Eg West LRT to 80km/h.

I'm pretty sure ML has tweeted out sometime this year the limits is 80km/h in tunnels and 60km/h on the surface. How they are allowed to do 60, I don't know.

The urban transition to suburban just east of Eglinton Flats is where is transitions from 60km/h to 40km/h. Lucky Ford figure out how to set the limit for Eg West LRT to 80km/h.

I'm pretty sure ML has tweeted out sometime this year the limits is 80km/h in tunnels and 60km/h on the surface. How they are allowed to do 60, I don't know.
On The Queensway, the Flexity Outlooks crawl through the intersections, on "orders" from above. No real transit priority, even though The Queensway would have been an excellent "testing ground".

Are you suggesting they have slow orders for no reason?
Not for no reason, but the argument that the TTC puts forward is "safety". Anyone who looks at a Euro tram network for at least 5 seconds can see that this is utter bunk and there is nothing to be gained from having trams crawl through every intersection, not to mention they don't have any such asinine operating rules for buses.

I remember I was looking through an agenda of IEC one time and one of the agenda items was dedicated to this. It was to allow the crosstown rail right of way to have a special clause to allow train operations at 60km/h while car traffic is signed at 50km/h. I'll try to find it.

Found it (bundled with other speed limit motions)

Finch one too!

Last edited:
At one time in Ontario and Canada, light rail, streetcars, and radials were considered "railways" and had priority over motor vehicles. Then the auto-addicted politicians changed the "rules" to make them follow the "rules of the road" or else.

Back