News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I've driven the entire length of the 512 route and only saw 1 vehicle in the direction I was going, and it was about to loop around the other way.
And do you know for a fact that there wasn't some major delay along the route that caused this?

TTC line management is bad, sure, but not this bad.

Also, what does this have to do with the Crosstown?
Or are there sensors that when a train approaches the light will turn green? (Is this safe)
Provided the vehicle is detected early enough, why wouldn't it?

No crappy switches?
They have a signal system that will assist with switch position. Eglinton has fancy signals for those crossovers. This is not something they have on the legacy network.

I suppose the switch is set from control centre oppose to by the operators directly from the streetcar. Which is they they want them to stop and look in case they didn’t pay attention.

If it comes to it, put in the godawful crossing gates to idiot-proof the intersections.

If we can't get this right, we need to stop spending this kind of money on transit that is not fully grade separated.

Or just do what Phoenix does: install supplemental LED signage warning of an approaching LRV/streetcar. That city has a lot of median LRT operation, but without the railway signals used in Calgary or Edmonton.

F50F0164-6AE3-40B8-9813-E81ACF87E0E7.jpeg

20221104_165321.jpg

I managed to get another picture of these screens. It looks like they are showing two camera footage from 2 different spots above the tracks. The screen looks to be about where the driver could see them while stopped, and they are only on one side, the other screen is at the opposite side of the platform, facing the other way.

Could they be for the driver to make sure no one is behind them or something?

Or is this just a holding screen for the test drivers?

And do you know for a fact that there wasn't some major delay along the route that caused this?

Also, what does this have to do with the Crosstown?

Provided the vehicle is detected early enough, why wouldn't it?
I checked the TTC alerts twitter and saw nothing about the line. I drove the entire route so I'd notice if something seemed really wrong.

TTC line management has become this bad. It's not rare to look at 506 locations, and see almost no streetcars east of Broadview or west of Ossington. They've improved slightly with all the complaints in recent weeks, 45-minute gaps are still happening. Perhaps they pulled the supervisor(s) from 512.

Though St. Clair is particularly hard to screw up. It seems to get special treatment, and still has service every 5 minutes at peak. Meanwhile service remains very cut on 506 and the Broadview 504 branch, with frequencies at 8 minutes - much lower than pre-Covid.

Was there a particular day and time? 512 operation charts seem much more functional than 506 - though why some of the bunching is allowed I don't know ...

View attachment 437108

I managed to get another picture of these screens. It looks like they are showing two camera footage from 2 different spots above the tracks. The screen looks to be about where the driver could see them while stopped, and they are only on one side, the other screen is at the opposite side of the platform, facing the other way.

Could they be for the driver to make sure no one is behind them or something?

Or is this just a holding screen for the test drivers?
Good to see these. Hopefully this will avoid the pathetic situation Ottawa’s LRT faces - requiring ”whistleblowers”, because of the unreliability of the wireless platform camera connection to the cab monitors. They should just install platform monitors like these there.

Also, has it been confirmed whether passengers will have to pass through faregates while changing between Lines 1 & 2 at the interchange stations? I ask because it could suggest a separate fare arrangement for Line 5.

Also, has it been confirmed whether passengers will have to pass through faregates while changing between Lines 1 & 2 at the interchange stations? I ask because it could suggest a separate fare arrangement for Line 5.
I've been wondering that too because we haven't really gotten much information on how fares will be collected on the surface sections.

Good to see these. Hopefully this will avoid the pathetic situation Ottawa’s LRT faces - requiring ”whistleblowers”, because of the unreliability of the wireless platform camera connection to the cab monitors. They should just install platform monitors like these there.

All platforms at underground stations are located after the fare gates, so I don't see the need to have them between platforms at Kennedy/Eglinton/Cedarvale.

All platforms at underground stations are located after the fare gates, so I don't see the need to have them between platforms at Kennedy/Eglinton/Cedarvale.
It would be a good idea to filter out all the unpaying riders. Especially Kennedy and Finch West. Also a way for ML to gather ridership numbers. It does impede passenger flow but given enough gates installed, this can eliminate the useless fare inspectors. They should do it at Spadina and Union too now that presto is the mainstream payment system. Paper transfers remain the issue and they have yet to figure out what to do with that.

Funny you mention that, I picked up this in my latest video. One commenter stated that they were for a driver to check that no one is crossing between the connected train units based on where the camera locations are?

Enjoy the video!

I suppose that it could be, and to operate in concert with the onboard cameras on the cars.

There will also be bollards located along the platform edge where the cars get coupled together, as a further way of preventing people from that area.

I seem to recall from the drawings that there were no fare lines between the existing subway and the Crosstown platforms.

I've been wondering that too because we haven't really gotten much information on how fares will be collected on the surface sections.

POP. There will be fare machines and Presto readers on the platforms.

Dan

TTC line management has become this bad. It's not rare to look at 506 locations, and see almost no streetcars east of Broadview or west of Ossington. They've improved slightly with all the complaints in recent weeks, 45-minute gaps are still happening. Perhaps they pulled the supervisor(s) from 512.

Though St. Clair is particularly hard to screw up. It seems to get special treatment, and still has service every 5 minutes at peak. Meanwhile service remains very cut on 506 and the Broadview 504 branch, with frequencies at 8 minutes - much lower than pre-Covid.

Was there a particular day and time? 512 operation charts seem much more functional than 506 - though why some of the bunching is allowed I don't know ...
The 512 St Clair currently is completely unreliable. Waiting 15+ mins for a streetcar (absurd) is a regular occurrence. Also seems like the streetcars are driving very slowly maybe TTC is sending novice streetcar drivers to the route as well?.

I think you may be right about supervisors being pulled because it's giving echoes of St Clair post ROW, pre-Supervision.

The 506 shouldn't be compared to the 512. After working on College for some years I've come to the conclusion that nothing you can do, save for strict light priority, ROW or grade separation can make this line reliable. It's a novelty at best.

The 512 St Clair currently is completely unreliable. Waiting 15+ mins for a streetcar (absurd) is a regular occurrence. Also seems like the streetcars are driving very slowly maybe TTC is sending novice streetcar drivers to the route as well?.
I'd kill for having the reliability as good as always a streetcar within 15 minutes these days.

I do very much think it's a lack of supervisors issue. It would be interesting to see the staffing levels over the last decade or so.

The 506 shouldn't be compared to the 512. After working on College for some years I've come to the conclusion that nothing you can do, save for strict light priority, ROW or grade separation can make this line reliable. It's a novelty at best.
506 service was beautiful after they actually started using realistic timetables around 2015/16 or so. It's never going to be perfect, but I've been living next to it for about 20 years, and I've NEVER seen service this unreliable.

Here's the last 3 hours of each. And yet again, there's a 40-minute gap just before 11 AM with streetcars arriving at High Park. At least for once they seem to be trying to fix it with short-turns, rather than letting the gaps continue for many hours. Compare to 512

Looks like another 506 gap forming now in the east ... that could be improved simply by calling the car behind, and telling them to slow down and sit for 5 minutes.

1667756162593.png

1667756209036.png

Last edited:
Speaking of scheduling, do we know if the crosstown will run 24hrs like the streetcars downtown? Or will it be like the subways where it is mostly 5am-1am with night buses during the off hours?

Back