News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

apologies if this has been asked before, but is there a reason that Metrolinx isn't pursuing a phased delivery? this way they can say they've delivered part of the line at least while they sort out major issues (e.g. Eglinton)
Likely because the line has never been designed to operate as such.

Nevermind the whole transfer situation - if the line is to open piecemeal, than there needs to be ways to keep the different discrete sections isolated from each other, both in the sense of keeping the passengers out of the active work zones and vice versa, but also for things like power, signalling, data, etc. It doesn't seem like any of that was ever considered beyond the usual power isolating blocks.

And vehicles - they need to be cleaned, maintained, etc. Staff need a place to be able to prep for their day, store their own items, etc. The line in its current configuration only has one facility for that - so opening the east end first is a non-starter.

Dan

Meanwhile, in San Francisco...

Note, the transit signals WITHOUT verbage sign clutter (required in Toronto, it seems)...

Last edited:
I don't think there's any secrets they are holding onto.... I just think they've lost all credibility in terms of giving out dates and any date they give us likely nobody will believe anyway. If I was a project manager on this thing, I would at this point be pushing as hard as possible just to finish the project - Im guessing that they have internal dates they are marching towards, but they don't want to get egg on their face again, and maybe they are concerned that giving out a date will take pressure off.

Ive really noticed since this announcement in September that work has been accelerating like never before.... if they went this pace three years ago we wouldn't be in this pickle.
It's pretty systemic of a general shortage of skilled trades. We knew this would be coming years ago when it was estimated that we'd be short at least 1m skilled laborers nationally in the next few years.

It's just a culmination of many small setbacks snowballing the overall schedule. However as stations work towards completion they can shift resources to others for an all hands on deck

Some quick googling provides an answer: 5 min frequency at peak, from a recent article. Metrolinx is proposing to start at a 3 minute frequency to begin with, without explaining why.

If they would've just kept the roads clear as possible for as long as possible, they would've been in better standing with the public.
When are major intersections going to return to normal functioning. I.e. a left or right turn at Yonge and Eglinton, or Bayview and Eglinton?

When are major intersections going to return to normal functioning. I.e. a left or right turn at Yonge and Eglinton, or Bayview and Eglinton?

Some streets will not return to left turns while others have dedicated left turn signals. Birchmount is one where Left Turns have been abolished in front of the Crosstown while others like Lebovic have dedicated signals to turn in front of the Crosstown.

Based on what I am seeing, at least Bayview and Eglinton as well as Mount Pleasant and Eg, looks like they will be opening up really soon. They've paved all sides, just putting finishing touches up on the bike lanes out front it looks like.

Keele and Eg. has had left and right turns for a while now. Dufferin has right turns, no lefts. Bathurst seems to change based on construction.

They're opening up each intersection as they complete them.

As noted above, Bayview and Mount Pleasant are getting close to being complete and fully reopened, as is Dufferin.

Yonge, on the other hand, is likely to stay in a similar state to what it appears today for quite some time still.

Dan

Some quick googling provides an answer: 5 min frequency at peak, from a recent article. Metrolinx is proposing to start at a 3 minute frequency to begin with, without explaining why.

If one looks at ridership and other systems in Europe, you see a need for 5-15 minutes service with 10 being the norm. Even in the US its 5-15 with 15 being the norm on a lot of systems with a few being only every 15.

I am expecting to see Hurontario starting off at 10 with one car then having a second car added. Wouldn't be surprised to 15 on the weekend and late at night time 7 days a week.

Even the S Bahn see 10 minute service at best.

Screenshot 2022-11-27 at 1.17.55 PM.png
And this is mid December!
Screenshot 2022-11-27 at 1.17.59 PM.png
This is Bayview and Eglinton now.

Last edited:
If one looks at ridership and other systems in Europe, you see a need for 5-15 minutes service with 10 being the norm. Even in the US its 5-15 with 15 being the norm on a lot of systems with a few being only every 15.

I am expecting to see Hurontario starting off at 10 with one car then having a second car added. Wouldn't be surprised to 15 on the weekend and late at night time 7 days a week.

Even the S Bahn see 10 minute service at best.
Maybe with very good clockface scheduling is 10-15 minutes good enough. As soon as you have to transfer at least once, a 15 minute frequency without pulse scheduling really kills the appeal of transit.

Back