News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

TTC has used various maps in their publications in the last few years. At the rate that Line 5 and 6 are going, I wouldn't be surprised if the next version adds both, but removes Line 3 (perhaps showing an express bus or something, similar to the 900).

Here's one TTC tweeted last year:

View attachment 443571

Looking at this map, is the st clair streetcar able to be extended eastward, would that be even a good idea ? Looks like it's not too far away from the soon to be Ontario line

Looking at this map, is the st clair streetcar able to be extended eastward, would that be even a good idea ? Looks like it's not too far away from the soon to be Ontario line
Not easily, with the Mud Creek and Yellow Creek ravines in the way. It's also further than it looks - about 6 km (the TTC map isn't to scale).

Though a routing down Mount Pleasant and then along the edge of the CP rail corridor (and Redway) to Millwood and along Overlea wouldn't be impossible. Though precious few riders between Mount Pleasant and Millwood. Along Moore/Southvale might work, but I don't see how it could be separate from traffic.

I've always fantasized about some kind of eastern 512 extension to Overlea/, and then across a new bridge (perhaps at Spanbridge) over the Don to St. Clair East, and along to Warden station (and perhaps even Scarborough GO), providing a great east-west link, where driving is very poor. But I don't think it's realistic.

I wonder if restoring and separating from traffic the Mount Pleasant streetcar up to Eglinton and Mount Pleasant station is feasible. There's some decent density along there.

1670442838264.png

Last edited:
TTC has used various maps in their publications in the last few years. At the rate that Line 5 and 6 are going, I wouldn't be surprised if the next version adds both, but removes Line 3 (perhaps showing an express bus or something, similar to the 900).

Here's one TTC tweeted last year:

View attachment 443571
I like the map but still hate many of the new station names (Pioneer Village, Cedarvale, Eglinton, Fairbank, Sheppard East if the Sheppard line ever reaches it)

“The total cost of Toronto's Eglinton Crosstown project has increased by about $1 billion and the provincial agency overseeing it has raised concerns the consortium building the transit line hasn't offered a "credible plan" to complete it, according to confidential documents obtained exclusively by CBC Toronto. “

“About 98 per cent of the construction and engineering work is complete, according to the documents. Track and train testing is behind schedule with about 79 per cent of it done.”

“The documents show at some point the provincial agencies raised concerns about what they call "significant deficiencies" in some work completed”

^Some other notable notes from the article above:

Some specific issues are detailed, including concerns surrounding seepage that could lead to leaks and mould, and whether it's safe for the trains to operate along curves on the track.

Financial issues faced by one of the companies in the consortium could also hamper efforts to finish work, which could result in further delays, according to the documents.

You need to look at 'geography' and demand not just a one-dimensional map. Your idea is not easy 'geographically' due to ravines and it is not clear to me why anyone (or at least many folk) would want to transfer from/to the streetcar/Ontario Line where they would intersect.

“The total cost of Toronto's Eglinton Crosstown project has increased by about $1 billion and the provincial agency overseeing it has raised concerns the consortium building the transit line hasn't offered a "credible plan" to complete it, according to confidential documents obtained exclusively by CBC Toronto. “

“About 98 per cent of the construction and engineering work is complete, according to the documents. Track and train testing is behind schedule with about 79 per cent of it done.”

“The documents show at some point the provincial agencies raised concerns about what they call "significant deficiencies" in some work completed”

One more reason among many fine ones to put a slew of nails into the coffin of P3s.

Its not merely that stuff can go wrong; it can and does on more conventionally procured projects as well; I've also discussed the cost issue at length and no need to rehash that.........

But its also the drain of in-house expertise from agencies like GO/TTC, the City/ the Province in terms of designing, managing and overseeing these projects. Between the structural move away
from direct oversight and the bleeding away of the staff resources that allow for same, you have a recipe for disastrous outcomes.

^Some other notable notes from the article above:

Some specific issues are detailed, including concerns surrounding seepage that could lead to leaks and mould, and whether it's safe for the trains to operate along curves on the track.

Financial issues faced by one of the companies in the consortium could also hamper efforts to finish work, which could result in further delays, according to the documents.
I don’t get it. Why are they now concerned about trains travelling on curves? Did they forget to superelevate them?

I don’t get it. Why are they now concerned about trains travelling on curves? Did they forget to superelevate them?
And it's not like it's a transit line with a lot of curves to begin with (with the exception of the MSF). So the fact that they have concerns about the trains operating along curves doesn't instil much confidence.

Should have just made it a subway. By the time this opens we will need a subway on Eglinton anyways and it would have taken the same amount of time.

Back