News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

"Construction and engineering work on the line are 98 per cent complete, the documents say, while testing is only 78.5 per cent done."

Let's all just pray that this is true. If this is true, doesn't seem like a 2023 opening is crazy.

Time to stop blaming good old Mike. There has been more than enough incompetence and delay after him (and ongoing).
Gee!! didn't realize Good Old Mike was still in Power And running the PC party not the Dougiee get out of my way yea hoo.

Good old Mike has nothing to do with this mess, other than ML who has been under 2 different province party control.

Opening date will be in Q4 2023 to late Q3 depending when the line gets turn over to TTC who will take their time before opening the line. Expect 3-4 months of testing and training with at least 30 days of full service schedule runs. They will also look at service on one track if a track has to be taken out of service for X reason.

And then how many months of testing after handover? The Elizabeth line in London had 6 months of trial running by TFL - but that was only after 6 months of trial running to a timetable by the contractor.

It feels like starting operating in September 2023 is out. More likely 2024, or very late 2023. Though that assumes nothing major comes to light during trial operations.

And to think their biggest concern that caused them to start cancelling contracts was Bombardier's streetcar delivery timeframe.
Already been operational testing by both Metrolinx and TTC since November of 2021. It's the physical stations (especially Eglinton and Cedarvale [AKA Eglinton West]) located above the tunnels and underground platforms that's the holdup. Some operators are already getting training.

"Construction and engineering work on the line are 98 per cent complete, the documents say, while testing is only 78.5 per cent done."

Let's all just pray that this is true. If this is true, doesn't seem like a 2023 opening is crazy.
The other positive I’ve been seeing recently is that the media is really holding metrolinx to account. Good for them and us.

For a tiny bit of good news, Bayview now has two lanes NB at Eglinton for the first time in years. Still 1 lane SB.

Getting the streets back will be good while we wait (and wait) for line 5 to open

Already been operational testing by both Metrolinx and TTC since November of 2021. It's the physical stations (especially Eglinton and Cedarvale [AKA Eglinton West]) located above the tunnels and underground platforms that's the holdup. Some operators are already getting training.
There's been operational testing, but they certainly haven't started started trial running to the timetable - I've certainly driven past recently and seen no vehicles running.

Operator training was finished months ago - as it appears that Metrolinx didn't communicate any adjustments to the opening to TTC.

I wonder who is paying for this large group of fully-trained operators who were not needed - perhaps for another year!

Yeah, I dont think a "public inquiry" in this specific instance would really achieve much of anything in this case. And despite how much I loathe John Tory, I dont think he has much to hide on this file.

Yeah, I dont think a "public inquiry" in this specific instance would really achieve much of anything in this case. And despite how much I loathe John Tory, I dont think he has much to hide on this file.

I wouldn't mind any public forum/inquiry etc. that puts further pressure on ML and Crosslinx for this debacle

The Ottawa public inquiry made a Liberal mayor look bad. The current government won't call for one unless they have some political purpose to hurt Metrolinx. The Ford government has taken power from municipalities and centralized more procurement with Metrolinx and IO. So they won't want to make themselves look bad, unless they plan for MTO to absorb Metrolinx and have even more direct control. But they'd have to consider Ottawa and other cities with rapid transit outside the GTA.

Does the City have any power or authority to compel participation in this by the various parties? If not, I suspect it would not be much of an inquiry, but only a venting exercise that would probably reach a few conclusions that are already obvious.
The city has 0 powers because of how our provincial system is set up. This inquiry would be a complete waste of money and its only purpose would be political grandstanding.

Back