News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

the typical practice for transit lines is never to announce a specific day no more than a few weeks out when you are confident about it.

Generally you may see something like "fall 2023" or similar, than come october they may say "will open November 4th" or something.

Here, I suspect they are waiting to even give the "fall 2023" timeline as they aren't even confident in that yet.

The original opening date for the Crosstown Line is long gone. Almost three years later, we are still waiting.
Depending on how original you want to be, when it was a TTC project, it was to open in phases starting in 2015, until 2021 including the western extension.

Yep! Those are Ottawa style gates, the TTC ones are shorter in length and not designed for high volumes as per S&B's Website (now updated). Good to see that we are using high volume gates for rapid transit, and the extra length let's those who walk faster walk without an awkward pause waiting for them to open.

Yep! Those are Ottawa style gates, the TTC ones are shorter in length and not designed for high volumes as per S&B's Website (now updated). Good to see that we are using high volume gates for rapid transit, and the extra length let's those who walk faster walk without an awkward pause waiting for them to open.
I really didn't find the TTC ones any slower than the ones in London - and the ones in Paris seem even slower.

I've only entered the subway here with the new Presto readers here once so far - and I was watching for a lag. But it seemed faster than ever!

Reece, what have you observed in big European cities compared to the time here? The biggest difference I've seen is that the gates all seem to be set up as one-way only (which really reduces capacity), but a shocking number of gates even at quieter stations. And yet I've seen far more crowding trying to enter stations there. And more delays at gates, as some people have issues (often with the optical readers that seem to accompany many of the fare gates, to deal with various forms of paper tickets due to overlycomplex fare structures, and fare cards being a lot less flexible than Presto).

How on earth can anyone tell a difference between them. When I was in Ottawa last summer they seemed to be identical to the TTC ones. Also why does anyone really car what the fare gates look like? The more impart question is how are people going to be using them especially in stations where you are transferring from the TTC to the crosstown like at Kennedy, Eglington and Eglington west (don't care for the stupid names that they paid someone to come up with).

How on earth can anyone tell a difference between them. When I was in Ottawa last summer they seemed to be identical to the TTC ones. Also why does anyone really car what the fare gates look like? The more impart question is how are people going to be using them especially in stations where you are transferring from the TTC to the crosstown like at Kennedy, Eglington and Eglington west (don't care for the stupid names that they paid someone to come up with).
How they look like is how he distinguished between models. Why we care, as Reese explained multiple times, these have better useability and higher capacity.

How they look like is how he distinguished between models. Why we care, as Reese explained multiple times, these have better useability and higher capacity.
Whatever I'm just trying to say that other than a few people who know about that no one actually cares as long as they work and we actually can get into the stations and we can also find out how transfers between the existing TTC stations will be. It doesn't matter what type of fare gates they are because the general public who will be using them don't care so why do we need to make a big deal about them.

Sometimes the small things can make a big difference.
Only too a few people who actually notice them. I hate to break it to you but the average person using the TTC doesn't care about what type of fare gates it is as long as it takes their fare, look at how many different ones we used to have before the current ones. Basically from what people are saying is that the ones in Ottawa and on the crosstown are a newer version of the ones that the TTC installed which in the end doesn't really matter at all or affect the day to day operations in any way whatsoever. This is exactly like the conversation about train horns on the go train cab cars awhile back.

Whatever I'm just trying to say that other than a few people who know about that no one actually cares as long as they work and we actually can get into the stations and we can also find out how transfers between the existing TTC stations will be. It doesn't matter what type of fare gates they are because the general public who will be using them don't care so why do we need to make a big deal about them.
If the longer Ottawa version means the gates will open before I get to them I will definitely notice the difference. Likewise so will my husband, who complains constantly about how much he hates pausing.

Only too a few people who actually notice them. I hate to break it to you but the average person using the TTC doesn't care about what type of fare gates it is as long as it takes their fare, look at how many different ones we used to have before the current ones. Basically from what people are saying is that the ones in Ottawa and on the crosstown are a newer version of the ones that the TTC installed which in the end doesn't really matter at all or affect the day to day operations in any way whatsoever. This is exactly like the conversation about train horns on the go train cab cars awhile back.
And I hate to break it to you, but the average person using the TTC also doesn't care about the type of rolling stock that runs, or the colour of the vehicles, or the numbering/lettering conventions, or the naming conventions, or the types of announcements and digital signage.

Should we also stop discussing all of these things, too?

Personally, what I don't care to read is people on an urbanist forum (itself a relatively niche subject) shitting on what other details of the city other people find interesting to discuss. The only issue with the discussion about train horns is that it ascribed value to the train using one type of horn over the other. There is nothing wrong inherently with discussing train horns, or trucks, or doors, or any other part you can name. If the subject doesn't interest you, move on, instead of going on these self righteous screeds.

And I hate to break it to you, but the average person using the TTC also doesn't care about the type of rolling stock that runs, or the colour of the vehicles, or the numbering/lettering conventions, or the naming conventions, or the types of announcements and digital signage.
I don't rely car about that either but for some pole it seem to be import that we should do everything like every other transit agency does without look at the context of this. For example the LRT trains aren't likely to have video screens in them because they weren't ordered with them so compiling about on a form isn't going to change that. Weather or not we need them is another debit but is something that would be deiced by the TTC and or Metrlonx if they want to spend the money on something like that.
Should we also stop discussing all of these things, too?
I rally don't care I was only sating an opinion that I don't really se why it's a big deal to people what type of fare gates they used is. I didn't notice a difference when i used them in Ottawa and I rally didn't see how anyone else will either unless they are an uber transit geek that knows everything about all types of fare gates.
Personally, what I don't care to read is people on an urbanist forum (itself a relatively niche subject) shitting on what other details of the city other people find interesting to discuss.
I was just asking why it's import and trying to understand howe anyone would actually notice anything. If people like them that's fine, I don't really car and don't see any sort of difference the way that some people do.

Back