News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

If you want to get ML staffers giggling, just slide the word “loops” into the discussion. It’s the standard overseas term for what we call a siding….But in ML space it’s a bit of an inside-joke perjorative code word for foreign experts who believe they were hired to teach Ontario folks how to railroad.
I see the made in Ontario blinkeredness is not just a TTC problem, though it's usually much more publicized in the TTC's case.

I think 2025 is likely. A year from now is essentially June 2024. That‘s not long enough for things to work their way through the courts. So, add another six to seven months and then we‘re into Jan-Feb 2025. But you don’t want to launch a new system in the snow…. so that’s April-May 2025.
Lol April/May 2025 is the new opening date? You guys don't think sooner?

Im still holding to the belief that it will open January 2024, there’s no way they would realistically let it be delayed until that long. All the stations are basically complete and the fact they opened the eglinton platform extension kind of confirms that.

You really think this whole legal matter will be cleared up, and the many deficiencies corrected, in 8 months' time? The Eglinton platform extension is not proof of anything, they finished the work so they opened it. It's not like the Crosstown's absence has otherwise materially impacted operations at Eglinton station.

I also think the spring 2025 timeline seems credible.

I wonder if the answer is to move to a model where agencies do all the design, build and management in-house and contract with private parties to do specific subsections under project management from the public body.

Yes, you would still have overruns, but at least if a contractor is incompetent, you wouldn’t be stuck without an alternative.

I want to see an estimate as to how much money we would save moving the expertise in-house. It seems that the only folks getting a good deal out of transit planning and implementation in the GTA is arguably a) consultants; b) trades unions and c) lawyers.

AoD

Definitely 2025 before the whole thing from Renforth to Kennedy is fully operational. Maybe Mount Dennis to Kennedy is running in a rough form in 2024.

Renforth to Mount Dennis is scheduled for opening in 2031 I believe. There's no way they're opening the west extension in 2 years! They haven't even awarded the contracts for the stations and the elevated sections.

All the stations are basically complete and the fact they opened the eglinton platform extension kind of confirms that.
They are still pouring concrete to finish some of the structures at Eglinton. They've only just started to backfill and cover the excavations.

So no, just because part of the subway interface is done doesn't mean that the whole station is done.

Dan

Renforth to Mount Dennis is scheduled for opening in 2031 I believe. There's no way they're opening the west extension in 2 years! They haven't even awarded the contracts for the stations and the elevated sections.
Ah, my mind rarely lingers on the Toronto-Mississauga border. That's badlands beyond that horizon. Let's hope the Province has learned from this debacle and looks at who's doing the job on the Mount Dennis to Kennedy section.

I wonder what will be operational first, the California High-Speed Rail system or the Crosstown.

Last edited:
The Star is out with a big article on the state of the Crosstown, having been given a tour of about 1/4 of the line by Crosslinx.

Its behind the paywall, but we all know how to address that now!

Lots of photos and some tidbits. There's also a video as well.

I will pull just a couple as teasers, for the rest, follow the link.

1684585773144.png

Credit: Toronto Star

1684585859966.png

Credit: Toronto Star

Now for some substance:

Eglinton Station should be structurally wrapped up below grade by mid-summer; but the roads and sidewalks won't be fully restored in the area until November.

Eglinton, Kennedy and Cedarvale stations are all suffering from significant leaking, solutions have been proposed, I'm unclear if they've been accepted.

Crosslinx is ticked at Mx, in part, because there is still no operating agreement in place with the TTC. The real issue here seems to be that as the TTC inspects the project before assuming operations
they are 'ordering' changes to bring it up to their standard; a standard different that the one Crosslinx says was in the project spec.

Example given is that the vehicles for the Crosstown don't properly interface w/the TTC's radio network, so the TTC wants changes. The project spec apparently didn't require such interoperability and Crosslinx doesn't want to pay the bill
to make changes.

Comment: This is the problem with having Mx and I/O involved in writing an agreement for which they lack the requisite technical experience and staff. Whatever process one chooses to use for tendering, the end-use operator needs to be involved at the design and contract language stages.

Crosslinx is also looking for Mx to release 300M it is holding back due to non-performance.

Last edited:
At the very least, have SOME of the stations on Line 5 open for "Open Doors 2023"!!!

:eek:

It's Doors Open not Open Doors.

Semantics aside they are all still considered construction sites and likely not safe for public use.

If they were safe enough for public use the line would open rather imminently.

Back