News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

More than the Spadina stops, but not much more. maybe some enclosed wind shelters with radiant heaters, but I wouldn't count on it.

All the subway interchanges included underground stations so most people won't have multiple waits out in the elements every day.

So will the 'old/new' x-town line now approved by council revert back to the original TC stop spacing scheme East of Laird (bad) or keep the new Ford/Metrolinx stop spacing in the above ground portion of Eglinton (good)?

No one seems to know...

You know that's just one side of the opinion. Who's to say the locals of Toronto doesn't need/want rapid? TTC doesn't have to money to go "rapid", that's why the LRT (Transit City version) was even considered. It's not even on the radar prior to Transit City.
But if you have rapid then that would mean less stops, wider spacing and then its back to the whole issue of how far people are willing to walk debate and the point where if the stops are too far part people will take their cars

Is there a document online (original Transit City doc I suppose) that shows the proposed design for the above ground stops? I'm curious to see if they are proposed to be covered, heated, etc. Or if they are just going to me more like Spadina/St. Clair

Thanks

I went to the open house for the design of the Keele station Thur night. The Keele station will have 3 entrances, and then down escalators and then the platform for the LRT. It appeared to be designed with glass to let lots of light in, The platforms did not seem wide enough. (Looked like they are not expecting to be carrying a lot of passengers for a long time if ever). I asked someone how wide the platforms would be and he said 3 metres but he did not seem sure. He appeared to be guessing because he did say something along the line of "probably" "should be". But i would think if they are doing a design rendering that it would be true to life. I did not like the way the open house was set up. It was not like a major presentation and then questions and answers. You were free to walk around and boards were set up and then people were there to answer questions. But it appeared to me they set it up as a divide and conquer. It would have been a lot better with a presentation that everyone hears, and questions and answers that everyone can hear.

I was also surprised when i asked about the actual building of the stations and was told they are going to tunnel the whole line and then go back and start building the stations. I was surprised because i thought as they finish the tunneling at one stop and are onto the next stop, the building of the first station would start and so forth. At least then it would be over and done with and the whole street would not be all tied up in a mess. To wait so many years before even seeing the actual station feels like the line will never finish.

I read your posts and realized you meant stops with above grade stations which Keele is not.

Last edited:
I haven't been to any of the open houses, but my impression is that they staff showed up prepared to talk about the design of the stations, but most of the discussion amounted to bellyaching about other aspects of the plan, its cost, or the mere existance of the project. Not very productive.

More than the Spadina stops, but not much more. maybe some enclosed wind shelters with radiant heaters, but I wouldn't count on it.

All the subway interchanges included underground stations so most people won't have multiple waits out in the elements every day.
Are you talking about the stops that will be east of Larid and above ground?

If the eglinton LRT was to stop at pearson like originally planned, where at terminal 1 would it stop, and what would that look like in terms of station design.

I went to the open house for the design of the Keele station Thur night. The Keele station will have 3 entrances, and then down escalators and then the platform for the LRT. It appeared to be designed with glass to let lots of light in, The platforms did not seem wide enough. (Looked like they are not expecting to be carrying a lot of passengers for a long time if ever). I asked someone how wide the platforms would be and he said 3 metres but he did not seem sure. He appeared to be guessing because he did say something along the line of "probably" "should be". But i would think if they are doing a design rendering that it would be true to life. I did not like the way the open house was set up. It was not like a major presentation and then questions and answers. You were free to walk around and boards were set up and then people were there to answer questions. But it appeared to me they set it up as a divide and conquer. It would have been a lot better with a presentation that everyone hears, and questions and answers that everyone can hear.

I was also surprised when i asked about the actual building of the stations and was told they are going to tunnel the whole line and then go back and start building the stations. I was surprised because i thought as they finish the tunneling at one stop and are onto the next stop, the building of the first station would start and so forth. At least then it would be over and done with and the whole street would not be all tied up in a mess. To wait so many years before even seeing the actual station feels like the line will never finish.

I read your posts and realized you meant stops with above grade stations which Keele is not.

i went to the open house to. it was the worst open house yet. i say that because it was missing the big people. joe m was not there and neither was karen stinz. these two answered and engaged in a lot of questions at the other open houses. it shouod also be noted that at the open house you need to look for the person in charge of whatever area you want to ask about. the archatect wont have the same info as the engineer or ad the community laison. anyways it appears that after the tc vote alot of the big wigs took a deserved night off.

I haven't been to any of the open houses, but my impression is that they staff showed up prepared to talk about the design of the stations, but most of the discussion amounted to bellyaching about other aspects of the plan, its cost, or the mere existance of the project. Not very productive.

it should be noted that all the staff only work on two stations each.l so it is possible that some staff are more informed then others. i found this out because i showed up at 855 and they were almost paking up and i wanted to ask questions about the eglinton west design of the lack of a south entrance but no one had worked on that project. instead people were only familiar with the keele and caledonia stations. the one question i shouod have asked is will caledonia somehow connect to the go network.

Question for the technical ones on this forum: Spacing between tunnels is required to be a minimum of the diameter of the tunnels. Are they expecting to dig a third tunnel in the future? Any other explanation?

screenshot20120211at305.png

You wouldn't want them too close - particularly not in the very fine sands that some of the drilling will be through. Presumably there's some geotechnical minimums based on soil type. But also with the centre platform at most (if not all) the underground stations, why would you want to add extra curves in the tunnel to get them closer together? If you look at exhibit 92 on the previous page, you'll see that they were planning that the platform was 8.2 metres wide. Presumably the platform goes to the edge of the train, not the edge of the tunnel (mind the gap!), so it looks like 6.5 metres is approximately what you'd put the tunnels apart to keep the tracks straight.

Question for the technical ones on this forum: Spacing between tunnels is required to be a minimum of the diameter of the tunnels. Are they expecting to dig a third tunnel in the future? Any other explanation?

screenshot20120211at305.png

Based on pure engineering, I would say that the separation between the tunnels is to ensure that a uniform earth pressure is acting on each tunnel. If the tunnels are closer, the earth pressure on the outside is bigger than that between the two and the tunnel may deform. Of course they could just make the tunnel walls a bit thicker to compensate for this. Culvert under roadways are often closer together than one diameter.

The depth is also set so that it is deep enough to clear utilities. Being deeper also means that the culvert really only sees load from the earth - it is too deep to feel the effects of traffic above. Again, a shallower depth could be designed for (thicker walls and more reinforcing steel). Many roadway culverts have only 2 feet of cover on top.

The utilities is an interesting part. If the location of utilities was known, I would guess a shallower cut-and-cover tunnel (dug between vertical soldier pile walls - steel columns with timbers between) would be more economical. If they are unsure of the utilities, I would guess they leave a buffer just to make sure they do not interfere with what might be there.

Back