LUVIT!

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
Based upon the recent recalling that has happened in our fair city I agree with the above statement. In addition I now realize that some of the 70's vibe is AOK.
" I love the night life I love to boogie! "

condovo

Member Bio
Reaction score
I wish we had news on the tower too, but we do not. I'd like to see a recladding, personally, and maybe more, but as recladdings are not required to be seen by Urban Design and only go to the Building Department for inspection to make sure they meet code, well, the aesthetic nightmare that is the 401 Bay recladding is a cautionary tale that mitigates my urges for something new here somewhat. This tower could be much better, but we have no assurances that it would be.

Any chance of that "loophole" being closed to require re-claddings to be reviewed by the DRP too? Is this issue on anyone's radar outside of UT?

interchange42

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
Any chance of that "loophole" being closed to require re-claddings to be reviewed by the DRP too? Is this issue on anyone's radar outside of UT?
Urban Design became VERY aware of it just before 401 Bay started to transform just across the street from them — they actually learned about it from us, well me — when I called to ask why it was being allowed to happen. (This was at the rendering stage, and since the recladding didn't require their permission, it was news to them. This was right after the successful recladding of First Canadian Place which they had been consulted on, having been volunteered to them for scrutiny.) Anyway, it's up to them to get internal processes changed, and I assume that kind of thing is not simple… …but one can always call their City Councillor and politely point out that the city just got architecturally buggered and it could happen again, and things need to change regarding major recladding plans.

(Edited for clarity above.)

Last edited:

Koops65

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
Toronto Model 04-09-22 Cumberland Square.png

Toronto Model 04-09-22 Cumberland Square2.png

UtakataNoAnnex

Member Bio
Reaction score
Urban Design became VERY aware of it just before 401 Bay started to transform just across the street from them — they actually learned about it from us, well me — when I called to ask why it was being allowed to happen. (This was at the rendering stage, and since the recladding didn't require their permission, it was news to them. This was right after the successful recladding of First Canadian Place which they had been consulted on, having been volunteered to them for scrutiny.) Anyway, it's up to them to get internal processes changed, and I assume that kind of thing is not simple… …but one can always call their City Councillor and politely point out that the city just got architecturally buggered and it could happen again, and things need to change regarding major recladding plans.

In a just society, The City would force them to remove the current offending cladding and restore it to what it was. 😾

Last edited by a moderator: