Maybe RAMSA is a tall order on my part, but AUDAX would be a great start. Bring some of that 101 Spadina and 1140 Yonge St goodness to Yorkville.

Lets cross our fingers that the current Cumberland Square project fails, because they are unlikely to hire real architects.

Maybe RAMSA is a tall order on my part, but AUDAX would be a great start. Bring some of that 101 Spadina and 1140 Yonge St goodness to Yorkville.

Lets cross our fingers that the current Cumberland Square project fails, because they are unlikely to hire real architects.

Cumberland's redevelopment has gone nowhere twice before.......

I'm loathe to wish for that again.

Much as the proposal may be a bit pedestrian, its a radical improvement over the status quo.

I don't want to be looking at that mall still there in 10 years!

From the Docs:

(note, this is just for the Yonge street side)

1641397098239.png

1641397172099.png

1641397209300.png

1641397228660.png

Looking at the landscape plan:

The seemingly bad news, the Yonge Street frontage:

1641397595199.png

No trees indicated, and no pavers indicated.

* I believe this area may be subject to removal for the Bloor-Yonge Capacity Enhancement project which may be why that is..............

The Good News is the Cumberland side:

1641397700970.png

2 trees, both with soil cells.

Sidewalk to be 100% pavers

Cumberland Street the road, to be 100% brick.

...I guess we'll have to hope they don't Concord/Canderel the materials. Something about someone saying we are left having to accept mediocrity though. /sigh

What was the height of the original proposal?

Really is a shame to see what's come of this from the early renderings. Always gets cheaper in the revisions.

A few showing the massing impact on the skyline (Cumberland Square = BLUE / proposed & under construction = red)

Yorkville skyline looking south from above Summerhill :
Cumberland1_YorkvilleSkyline_1.png

Aerial looking southeast from above Avenue Rd:
Cumberland2_Aerial_1.png

Aerial looking southwest:
Cumberland3_Aerial_3.png

Aerial looking northwest from above 1 Bloor East:
Cumberland4_Aerial_2.png

Streetview looking southeast from above the Whole Foods on Avenue Rd:
Cumberland5_Streetview.png

Streetview looking south from just below Yonge/St Clair Ave:
Cumberland7_Streetview.png

Yorkville skyline from the DVP:
Cumberland8_DVP_Skyline.png

Skyline from above the Annex:
Cumberland9_Skyline_3.png

An aside on that (to me) odd descriptor “pedestrian.” This is not meant to be a put down of anyone who uses it. I know what users mean by it and often agree. But to me and I suspect to many of us, a place or streetscape which is pleasant and welcoming to walk around, or in one word pedestrian, is exactly what is desired. In that sense, I hope that this development is indeed pedestrian.

An aside from an aside: I wonder how the word pedestrian got its negative connotations in the first place. Is it left over from the days of an omnipresent and unchallenged class system in which the rich ride and the poor must walk?

Once again, I mean no offense by this wandering semantic reflection. And now it’s time for me to go to the park for a brisk pedestrian experience.

:) Point taken. As an adjective it means lacking inspiration or excitement, as a noun it means what you are planning to do in the park. It's a word not used very often, so there is a bit of confusion in its meaning.

Back