Looking at the landscape plan:

The seemingly bad news, the Yonge Street frontage:

View attachment 373110

No trees indicated, and no pavers indicated.

* I believe this area may be subject to removal for the Bloor-Yonge Capacity Enhancement project which may be why that is..............

The Good News is the Cumberland side:

View attachment 373111

2 trees, both with soil cells.

Sidewalk to be 100% pavers

Cumberland Street the road, to be 100% brick.
Any idea when the 50 bloor street west condo gonna built ? If that one Built this whole area looks quite different compare to now.

Any idea when the 50 bloor street west condo gonna built ? If that one Built this whole area looks quite different compare to now.

As discussed in the applicable thread, here: https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...d-corporation-pellow-associates.18684/page-64

That proposal appears to be dormant/dead.

That's not to say something won't be done w/that site in the fullness of time, it probably will.

But there is no suggestion I'm aware of that this will be anytime soon.

Major permit pull here:

1643237337186.png

Yes, this means some notable retail changes.

In relation to the above, UT, ya heard it here first, LOL

Oh dear...it looks like they're refitting the retail podium with clown shoes (from the linked article's sampled render at bottom) that has nothing to do with the rest of the tower. /sigh

Slightly better (but may be older) rendering here:

Slightly better (but may be older) rendering here:
This one?

2022RetailRedo.jpg

I hope this one's the newer one.

Yeah, that's the one, thanks.
Agreed, it looks better than the other one (more respectful of the straight lines of the tower above).
The one at Retail Insider seems to have odd slanted glass and setbacks at the east and west ends of the facade.

Here's the other post at Retail Insider for comparison:

download-4-1200x776.jpeg.webp

An unconfirmed concept rendering of the redeveloped 2 Bloor W. podium.

Last edited:
Hopefully they go with the first — that second one is terrible in combination with the lines of the tower as @officedweller says and would likely be even worse in execution. Although with it they'd be maintaining neighbourhood context by mimicking the geometric disrespect to and incongruity with the tower above of the Manulife addition just down the street — part of the neighbourhood character! 😅

So the podium will be remodeled, but the actual tower redevelopment and build are on hold indefinitely? I'm just trying to follow and understand where that is at right now because it seems like the tower itself will remain the same for some time to come? Thanks so much in advance, Interchange42. 😃
I wish we had news on the tower too, but we do not. I'd like to see a recladding, personally, and maybe more, but as recladdings are not required to be seen by Urban Design and only go to the Building Department for inspection to make sure they meet code, well, the aesthetic nightmare that is the 401 Bay recladding is a cautionary tale that mitigates my urges for something new here somewhat. This tower could be much better, but we have no assurances that it would be.

I too would love to see an excellent reclad here - something like 609 Granville in Vancouver, please (https://architizer.com/projects/609-granville-street-recladding-1)!

That said, unless the existing cladding is failing, it's probably not going to happen in the near term. The project would have to be accretive to the net rent and generally for a tenant in a Class B building, things like that aren't going to matter enough for them to pay more.

I wish we had news on the tower too, but we do not. I'd like to see a recladding, personally, and maybe more, but as recladdings are not required to be seen by Urban Design and only go to the Building Department for inspection to make sure they meet code, well, the aesthetic nightmare that is the 401 Bay recladding is a cautionary tale that mitigates my urges for something new here somewhat. This tower could be much better, but we have no assurances that it would be.

Yes, it would have to be a very creative and aesthetic recladding. Personally, I don't like the look of this building. It's so dated and unattractive. Especially with the new towers up and going up on the other corners, it really pales in comparison. I've even heard and read that the tower across the street on the North East side with the soon-to-be-former Hudson's Bay store might have something big planned and introduced later this year. 😃

Back