Evan, if by that you mean 'will somebody please drive a bulldozer into the Bloor-Yonge Bay store and redevelop that too?' then I think you'll find a lot of sympathetic souls on this forum. Certainly that store could benefit from a total re-think by its new owners, but who knows.

I don't like either building, but to my mind Cumberland Terrace is the bigger blight. The Bay may be a big brutalist concrete box that needs some fixing, but Cumberland Terrace is just the worst of 70s watered down nearly styleless architecture, mostly abandoned or looks it, that can only be fixed by your choice of demolition method. As long as Pen Equity is not involved there is nowhere to go but up on this patch of urban Toronto.

I currently live in Vancouver but I remember the subway entrance as being too isloated and closed off from the street. Also, I would personally like to see 3 stories more traditionally styled, smaller storefronts replacing that entire concrete mass. In fact, they could possibly salvage parts of Victorian buildings that are being demolished around the city. Some nice sleek glass curtainwall could "envelope" everything and make entering the mini PATH, subway that much easier.
Evan

"Interesting to see that they chose a mid-block placement for one of the towers - for maximizing the view, perhaps?"

Probably to open up some space for views without obstrcution from Four Seasons & CIBC.

A mid-block placement of the tower probably has more to do with separation from the existing office tower above The Gap at the northeast corner of Bay and Bloor, which this site is immediately adjacent to.

Back