Well, they just uploaded the latest rendering for Tower C at Cumberland Square.

PLN - Architectural Plans - DEC 13  2022-11.jpg

PLN - Architectural Plans - DEC 13  2022-14.jpg

That's a moody sky in that render. Dystopian much? Like we're waiting for nuclear winter and a ceaseless rain of ashes. But the tower design isn't terrible so much as it feels strangely complacent.

By the time this thing gets to its final iteration, we're going to wish the existing Cumberland Square gets a heritage designation.
This is hilarious but super sad at the same time. Im laughing with sad tears coming down. I was excited about the golden arches along Yonge street and Cumberland. These are now gone and instead we get a glass wall.

This is hilarious but super sad at the same time. Im laughing with sad tears coming down. I was excited about the golden arches along Yonge street and Cumberland. These are now gone and instead we get a glass wall.
Maybe they'll put a flagship McDonald's there, so you could still get excited about golden arches :)

You'd think Yorkville would be one neighbourhood where beautiful luxe design was necessary to entice buyers. Sadly, this probably means they know not enough people care. Lets face it, we still live in a city where the majority of people are impressed by pedestrian dreck. As far as Toronto has come the last 20 years, we'll likely have to wait another generation or 2 for consumer standards to change. Buildings like The One and Forma will go a long way in driving that change.

Last edited:
You'd think Yorkville would be one neighbourhood where beautiful luxe design was necessary to entice buyers. Sadly, this probably means they know not enough people care. Lets face it, we still live in a city where the majority of people are impressed by pedestrian dreck. As far as Toronto has come the last 20 years, we'll likely have to wait another generation or 2 for consumer standards to change. Buildings like The One and Forma will go a long way in driving that change.
The market can only supply so many buyers for superluxe suites like at The One, and Yorkville has others — 50 Scollard under construction, 30 Scollard and Yonge and Scollard in the planning stages. Cityzen wasn't even so sure that Yonge and Scollard would work, so they put up that site for sale last year …and there was no interest — it didn't sell. So, in the name of actually being able to sell units, other buildings going into the area have to be a little closer to affordable. Here where there's a massive housing shortage, but not necessarily so for the 1%, you have to build for the other 99%.

The market can only supply so many buyers for superluxe suites like at The One, and Yorkville has others — 50 Scollard under construction, 30 Scollard and Yonge and Scollard in the planning stages. Cityzen wasn't even so sure that Yonge and Scollard would work, so they put up that site for sale last year …and there was no interest — it didn't sell. So, in the name of actually being able to sell units, other buildings going into the area have to be a little closer to affordable. Here where there's a massive housing shortage, but not necessarily so for the 1%, you have to build for the other 99%.

While I agree w/the above; particularly insofar as it applies to the hiring of starchitects or the inclusion of particularly extreme geometry or high end finishes; I think we can also agree that there is lots of room for design improvement here within the budget envelope of catering to the bottom 99%. We've seen purpose-built rental and a number of condos that are not aiming at 'The One' crowd deliver much nicer design.

...I mean, this wouldn't look so bad if they got rid of all that jaggedy crap on the big tower. So there's an expenditure they can save on right there. Instead, have better materials in place of that so it's at least it will somewhat more passable when all is said and done with this. Hopefully.

Back