Insulated in what way? I walk by daily and it's a horrible experience and is butt up against a highway. I LOVE the water treatment plant solution, but I see more kids at the new park across the street beside Aquavista than I've ever seen at this park. It's a shame the city didn't design with the highway in mind.

Yup. We walk through on the way to the waterfront and don't think we've stopped in the part north of QQ more than a handful of times. I don't know why they didn't build a real playground in that part of the park. I don't even know what you're supposed to do with half of the stuff they installed there. But it'll be nicer when the trees are bigger. But the new playground at Aitken park is very nice, if small.

I assume you realise that it is partly a 'water treatment plant" (even if it is quite 'artistic") and partly a kids playground. It is certainly close to the Gardiner and Lake Shore but is really quite well 'insulated'.
I think the water treatment facility is fine. It's needed and the canal-type feature is quite fun, but the spaces for people to engage are designed poorly. I think the proof is in the fact that the space is really underutilized; I walk past many times per week and rarely see anyone using the space. Take a look at the park across the road - it's a stark contrast.

Last edited:
I love the water feature but agree about the parkette. I find the current park aesthetic proliferating to be bizarre. They're overly busy and seem designed for people with ADD. How one is supposed to relax in these 'jungle gym for adults' type places is beyond me. I've visited this particular space 10+ times but never wanted to stay more than 2-3 minutes.

I noticed yesterday that they have replanted the two or three dead trees on the 'plaza" at the Queens Quay end. I suspect they should have replaced a couple more but we shall see.

That is quite cool that you can watch the wind blow through the space like that!

Maybe they should use it to cover the top the larger tower. At this point, sheets of garbage bags stitched together would look more appealing...

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe they should use it to cover the top the larger tower. At this point, sheets of garbage bags stitched together would look more appealing...
Come on, why are you taking a positive and turning it into a negative? Let's all think before we type and focus on making VALUABLE contributions. Yes, the tower portion is horrible (beyond comprehension), we ALL know this and it's been pointed out in the last what, 500 comments?

For me, it's great to see something pretty cool happening at ground level. Does it erase what's going on above it? Nope. But it's nice nonetheless.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with your last part...

...but I was already thinking of ways of "positive" dealing with that top part though. Because it's kinda of distracting, however the bottom end is made interesting...sowwy. :(

Though the Lower Jarvis street sidewalk was opened up a couple of months ago, they have just installed a covered/protected pedestrian walkway along it in front of the west tower. Maybe our criticism has been heard and they are about to demolish this eyesore! (Or balconies are about to rain down!)

Back