AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
Plans progressing for a new community and aquatic centre on Davisville, just east of Yonge, on the remaining space beside the new Davisville Junior Public School buiding.

There's been some previous mention of this in the Davisville School thread. Mods, please move or merge forward/back with that thread if necessary:

Davisville Community & Aquatic Centre

The City is planning to build a new aquatic and multi-use community centre on the Davisville Junior Public and Spectrum Alternative Senior School site Opens in new window, located in the Davisville Village neighbourhood, east of the intersection of Yonge Street and Davisville Avenue. The facility will include two indoor swimming pools and several multi-purpose rooms to serve various community needs.

Project Timeline

• Fall 2020 to Winter 2021: Hire a design team
  • Spring 2021 to Fall 2021: Community design consultations
    • Phase 1: Confirm program and design principles
    • Phase 2: Building concept design development
    • Phase 3: Design confirmation
  • Fall 2021 to Summer 2022: Detailed building design
  • Fall 2022 to Fall 2024: Construction*
The timeline is subject to change.

*Davisville Junior Public School is currently under construction. The construction of the aquatic facility will begin once the school is complete.

david1.JPG
davis.jpg

Can't say I really understand why we're still building standalone, 2-storey buildings like this in locations like this.

I'm not unsympathetic to the height here. This building is to the south and west of the school yard.
A large scale building would shadow the yard most of the day. If one wanted greater height here, the time to do that was when the school reconstruction came up; and to build an integrated building, on the north and east sides of the site.

Of course, you have SFH directly abutting the east side of the site; and across the street on the north side, who would likely throw an unholy fit at that thought.
Which brings us back to how we got here.

I gotta say, I am pretty unsympathetic to the plights of the SFD neighbouring residents. The John Fisher Jr. School parents put up a similar fight. They lost, the building was built, now everyone goes on with their lives. Boo hoo.

Something similar to the NTCI deal with Tridel would have been great here. Instead we lost a fantastic piece of mid-century architecture for a Rona garden shed, and are now compounding the problem with another, sister, structure.

Design by CS&P Architects:

Not sure what others see from Albert's post; I don't see any images, so I'll bring that forward:

1629139067010.png

Image from CS&P Architects:

Event Information: Davisville Aquatic Community Recreation Centre (ACRC) - Public Meeting

Date and time:Wednesday, October 27, 2021 6:30 pm
Eastern Daylight Time (Toronto, GMT-04:00)
Change time zone
Duration:1 hour 30 minutes
Description:
The City is planning building a new aquatic and multi-use community centre on the Davisville Junior Public School/Spectrum Alternative site, east of the intersection of Yonge Street and Davisville Avenue. Attend this public meeting to learn more about the exciting new development in your community, see the proposed design, ask the project team questions, and learn how to provide feedback. You can learn more at www.toronto.ca/DavisvilleACRC

New iteration, but not much different. Green glass fins and off-white cement board say 1990s minimalism, but there’s also an expressed structural diagrid. This doesn’t know what it wants to be. It also doesn’t speak at all to the (incoherent and busy and yellow) architecture of the school next door.

953E0E44-FC73-48B1-84C9-14497A6A7435.jpeg

953E0E44-FC73-48B1-84C9-14497A6A7435.jpeg

AB49B186-26C3-4A97-B011-B9CA91D49182.png
8FB68B49-3CE5-49CA-93CA-978260963B18.jpeg
1ECDDF3A-6F64-4621-97EB-83AF9794A4EB.jpeg
2F3AF85C-C2D3-4632-B90D-B7868A188A43.jpeg

Last edited:

davi.jpg
davi2.JPG

Construction expected to start this autumn and be completed around late 2024:

The 38,000 square-foot Davisville Community and Aquatic Centre (CAC), will be located beside the new Davisville Junior Public and Spectrum Alternative Senior School site just east of the Yonge St. and Davisville Ave. intersection. Situated on 76 acres of land, the three-story building will be connected to the school via an underground parking lot.

The faculty will house two indoor swimming pools: one, a six-lane, 250-metre pool, and the other, a leisure/tot pool. The plans also include a pool viewing area and gender-neutral washrooms and change rooms.

The community and aquatic centre will feature several multi-functional rooms including a dance studio, meeting rooms, and a teaching kitchen, while an active roof includes plans for a multi-purpose lawn, outdoor fitness space, and a BBQ area.

Through a partnership with the Toronto District School Board (TDSB), the Davisville CAC will share facilities with the Davisville Junior Public School. The school will have access to the aquatic centre’s swimming pools, and the city will have access to the school’s double gymnasium and underground parking garage outside of school hours.

The Davisville CAC will also be one of the first net-zero recreation centres to be built in Canada. The facility will be 100 per cent electric and will rely on a high-performance building enclosure, with no natural gas usage. To reduce carbon emissions, a geothermal system will provide heating and water.

“With construction beginning this fall, my family and I look forward to joining the Davisville Village neighbourhood at the new aquatic centre,” said Councillor Josh Matlow, who represents Ward 12, Toronto St-Paul’s. “Along with parks, childcare, affordable housing and other services, this much-needed recreation space is part of our community’s plan to help ensure that social infrastructure keeps up with the pace of growth.”

Construction on the Davisville aquatic centre is schedules to start in the fall of 2022, and be complete by late 2024.

Its a nice addition and all, but with the level of development going on and planned for in this area, I'm not sure why they stopped at 3 storeys. Surely some additional community space could have been included here? Seems like a bit of a missed opportunity, though that seems to be the theme with this whole site.

Back