They actually completed the park with the glass monuments after all this time:
Image via article
AF446INWM5FMZHFOH6ENZ36THU.JPG

Looks like the realities of construction were not considered in the original design of the piece. I'm sure all those supporting rods/struts were not part of the artist's vision and certainly take away from the overall design in my opinion.

Looks like the realities of construction were not considered in the original design of the piece. I'm sure all those supporting rods/struts were not part of the artist's vision and certainly take away from the overall design in my opinion.
How do you think the artist intended the glass panels to be supported? (A sky crane?) While I agree that the supporting structure is quite obvious, it is the mark of a good artist to conceptualise his/her works and then ensure that they can actually be realised in the real world while retaining his/her 'vision'. Did that occur here? I will decide when I see it on site.

Last edited:
Yeah, I find a lot of renderings always seem to treat glass as some magical material that is self-supporting and can just magically float in the air. This still looks good IMO, and most people who see it will have never seen the rendering to compare it to.

Without commenting on the art...........this is still not a park by any definition I'm willing to accept.

It's a space, outdoors, with an art feature.

Last edited:
Yeah, I find a lot of renderings always seem to treat glass as some magical material that is self-supporting and can just magically float in the air. This still looks good IMO, and most people who see it will have never seen the rendering to compare it to.

You can get close - but you have to be willing to pay dearly to achieve that effect (think Apple Store).

AoD

I was going to say call it a parkette and call it a day, but nah, that's a stretch.
Yes, even a parkette has some greenery. It's a fairly nice piece of art commemorating a person who ought to be commemorated and it is sitting in the middle of the sidewalk at Adelaide and Widmer. (Coincidentally (?) Dr Thomas Widmer was a contemporary of Grasett.).

Last edited:
For my money the most interesting--and conceptually engaging--object in the "park" is the monolithic sign designating the space as a park.

Back