it's been about a year since the last public meeting, I'm curious as to how their plans are going and hopefully Fletcher's motion could cause a 'dent' in an impactful way. That being said I'm not sure when this motion will pass/ if their site planning would be temporarily halted or continue as they have over the past year.

This project was brought back to my attention thanks to some interesting tweets from Geslin…

Trying to decipher the malice in this project. Did East Harbour really deliberately exert this much influence on things like the Ontario Line? And if so, why? The DRL came by the site one and the same.

Does anyone see office buildings breaking ground in next 10 years? I was reading somewhere today that the projected new office demand in Toronto for next 10 years is 15 million sq. ft. and there is already 40 million sq. ft. in pipeline.

Does anyone see office buildings breaking ground in next 10 years? I was reading somewhere today that the projected new office demand in Toronto for next 10 years is 15 million sq. ft. and there is already 40 million sq. ft. in pipeline.
Guaranteed a significant portion of this will turn to residential.

I think the City is in for a big change in terms of how it plans for commercial space -- dropping replacement requirements, etc.

Does anyone see office buildings breaking ground in next 10 years?

Yes; I do think so; however, I think it will be mostly the more 'boutique', mass timber/loft spaces as well as research intensive spaces (more institutional but can be hybrid commercial.

I wouldn't completely rule out one of the big tower proposals coming forward toward the end of the decade; but I don't see it being much more than that.

I was reading somewhere today that the projected new office demand in Toronto for next 10 years is 15 million sq. ft. and there is already 40 million sq. ft. in pipeline.

Probably the Altus study. I think they slightly over reached on their conclusions, myself. (fine group, I would simply make some different assumptions than they did).

Be that as it may, there is no question that most large-scale projects will be on hold for a few years; and what I expect to see is a lot of B and C class space converted/redeveloped as residential.

That will shrink the surplus substantially.

But it will take a few years.

Agreed.

I think the City is in for a big change in terms of how it plans for commercial space -- dropping replacement requirements, etc.

Yes, I think, but only for Class B and C space; I don't think you'll see the requirement out right waived for Class A space, nor should you.

Though there might be some flexibility on that depending on the mix of use changes (retail/institutional/hotel, purpose-built rental)

This project was brought back to my attention thanks to some interesting tweets from Geslin…

Trying to decipher the malice in this project. Did East Harbour really deliberately exert this much influence on things like the Ontario Line? And if so, why? The DRL came by the site one and the same.
I assume everyone knows that CF purchased this in 2019. https://www.firstgulf.com/cadillac-fairview-purchases-east-harbour-project-from-first-gulf

Long commutes dramatically weaken the desire for people to go into the office - and we’ve plenty of that in the GTA. I suspect Toronto’s office hangover will last a while.

I know far less than @Northern Light, but I would be truly shocked if we saw a new office tower get built by the end of the decade.

Well, yes, I still figured it was something else about this that was the problem. Maybe I just don’t see the issue with it being taken over by CF.

I do think this will likely see more changed to residential, but I don’t think that’s really a bad thing. I recall people saying the amount of office space here would create a sterile environment after work hours, and I agree. The surrounding area is established enough and will lack the additional residents to really compel people to come into the area, unless nearly all of the industrial land (everything south of eastern) intensifies with redevelopment.

Long commutes dramatically weaken the desire for people to go into the office - and we’ve plenty of that in the GTA. I suspect Toronto’s office hangover will last a while.

I know far less than @Northern Light, but I would be truly shocked if we saw a new office tower get built by the end of the decade.

The entire premise of this site does predicate upon GO Expansion and the OL, which both will make downtown commuting a lot easier and more bearable.

At best, office demand seems to have been put on pause- it’ll be crabbing for sure, but all firms seem to value physical presence in some form. Going forward, the name of the game might be less space, but never zero. It would be nice if this results in smaller scale offices everywhere.

I do think that this site is a bit far from the core, though. So the reduction in space likely will factor that in.

I wouldn't be surprised to see mixed-use buildings - like the John Hancock center in Chicago, which is part offices, part apartments.

My limited experience does not lead me to believe that CF will aspire to - or achieve - architectural excellence or excellent placemaking.
They're definitely a hit and miss...that's for sure. So it could be 160 Front West or 401 Bay...and all points in between to go wrong with this.

...the best thing they can do with their deep pockets is hand everything over to firms based out of Copenhagen and tell them to go nuts, IMO.

Back