The previous plan was certainly more aesthetically pleasing. How are they able to regress on design. Very lackluster, uninspiring proposal for 2018

Last edited:
We should have been posting links to the front page stories about this building…

So, I have edited in a link in the first post for the story that went up at that time, and here's the more recent story looking at the revised plans.

In terms of aesthetically pleasing, @OneCity, unless you get into what it is about that you don't like, I'm not sure if I'm responding to your concerns… but, if you mean that it's all spandrelled window wall in the images, then yeah, that's something we are always sighing over, right? It's the least expensive way to clad a building, and when you're planning a boutique-sized condo in pretty far-flung eastern Scarborough, you have to charge less to sell your units than you do in Central Toronto. To charge less, you have to find ways to build for less. As much as UT types want everything to be top notch, most buildings in this city are going to be built inexpensively, especially out in the economic hinterlands.

Still, we should always push for better!

It's a standard box with a hidden podium. The previous rendering had atleast a slight bit of movement in the tower with the floors set back and terraced on the way up. Better to keep the extra floor if the developer is just going to regress to a standard box I would never expect anything close to top notch here, but some effort in the design or imagination to leave a new legacy to build off of. This one isn't that bad but aside from the nicer street level retail feature the towers itself has lost some appeal and taken a step back

1.jpg

Vs.

2.jpg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 1,455
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 1,406
Last edited:
Looks like an improvement to me, and not just at grade. When a building is doomed to cheap materials, I find that simpler designs are typically the lesser of two evils.

I'm confused I am seeing photographs from two different sides of the street-facing each other. The one above is from the opposite side of the street where there is an empty lot and then there is this one?

Back