Visual evidence of the architectural continuity along Yonge Street to which @modernizt rightly refers:

f1526_fl0084_it0151.jpg

f1526_fl0084_it0158.jpg

f1526_fl0084_it0154.jpg

f1526_fl0084_it0149.jpg

And the unfortunate state of things today:

IMG_5028.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5028.JPG
    IMG_5028.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 2,479
I assumed that two of those rows of glass panels were simply windows with some sort of opaque film on them, which would provide a view into the store once it was open. Maybe I shouldn't have assumed that - could be that they are simply grey glass panels that bear no relation to anything else on that wall.
I assume they will become windows into the store once it is open…

but really.

I think except for the light-grey glass panels, the other panels appear to have slight decorative horizontal etchings and will be windows into the interior spaces. Perhaps they'll have café-seating along those windows? That'll make for a desirable vantage point as one would be able to look across the entire span of the mall from on high.

Personally, I wished they would restore the circular "display case" area on the outside of the mall where the old Sears sign/entrances were. The circular display case looked so cool and classy.

It did.

If it is café/restaurant seating there, wouldn't you rather it be open to the galleria instead of behind glass? They could have employed any number of dramatic finishes and overlooks there, but nah…

It did.

If it is café/restaurant seating there, wouldn't you rather it be open to the galleria instead of behind glass? They could have employed any number of dramatic finishes and overlooks there, but nah…

That would be pretty cool, if somehow they had configured some "outdoor" seating, creating a sort of "outdoor" space within an "indoor mall".

I have mixed feelings about the E.C. On the one hand it looks new, sleek and cool, but then it looks just like any other indoor mall on the continent. This forum has shared some pictures of what the E.C. had looked like, and frankly, I think the mall has actually regressed somewhat. Take for example the once light and airy Dundas+Yonge entrance now looks like a place to transit through than to stay and enjoy.

I hope they'll do something spectacular with that alcove-like space above Nordstrom's internal entrance. That would be a great spot to install a video screen that mirrors the alcove's shape and displays quality video art (not ads!). Not likely, obviously.

I'm looking forward to the 2025 renovation of the Eaton Centre. The press release will likely speak to how they want to restore the original vision and beauty of the eaton centre and to sweep aside the unfortunate renovations that over the years obscured the centre's beauty.

I think Nordstrom did a great job on the exterior. Wasn't sure for a long time - but much improved imo.

Back