Some support scaffolding has gone up in front of the entrance to the Bay as well.
I think the scaffolding at the two entrances is also to protect pedestrians from falling debris as they work on the two buildings to prepare for the new bridge to be attached.

Since nobody visits the Retail forum, and the Eaton Centre has had a highly discussed LED sign, I thought I'd put this here:

Shoppers (former Hard Rock Cafe) is building a curved LED display across from the Eaton Centre that looks way better than the multiple paper billboards that were there before. Slowly, this place is actually turning into Times Square (though we're a few decades from catching up).

img_0170-jpg.110761

This will place a lot of pressure on 10 Dundas East to upgrade all of their signage to LED. I'd say easily within the next two years to be honest.

This will place a lot of pressure on 10 Dundas East to upgrade all of their signage to LED. I'd say easily within the next two years to be honest.

I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet. The once dominant curved screen on 10 Dundas was washed out by the Samsung screen next to it and then the two massive Eaton Centre vertical screens that came after. I can't remember the last time my eye was drawn to the 10 Dundas screen.

I think the scaffolding at the two entrances is also to protect pedestrians from falling debris as they work on the two buildings to prepare for the new bridge to be attached.
That's possible too but it doesn't really cover that much of an area fro it to do that, plus it looks more like it's there to support the bridge well they tie it in permanently.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

IMG_0226.JPG
IMG_0227.JPG

I just noticed that they're building the bridge backwards. Right now, The Bay's round side is facing North towards the Eaton Centre and the Eaton Centre's square side is facing South towards The Bay. That tells us a little about how they're going to transport it to the site and fit it in place. It looks like a tight fit because the Eaton Centre is recessed but by flipping it this way, they'll be able to rotate it into place.

Attachments

• IMG_0226.JPG
    IMG_0226.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 875
  • IMG_0227.JPG
    IMG_0227.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 765
Tonight, they're breaking off that concrete cross beam that was used to hold up the old bridge. A lot of demo work happening in the patio space over Oakley. Hopefully that becomes a store like Harry Rosen on the opposite side or a cafe with patio space.

IMG_0276.JPG

Meanwhile, the new bridge continues to be assembled. There are about 2 more ribs left on the round side and 4 on the square.

IMG_0277.JPG

The size of this bridge can really only be appreciated in person. It's huge compared to the old one. The Eaton Centre side is going to be very tall and airy, effortlessly inviting people in. It narrows considerably on The Bay side.

IMG_0275.JPG

It's no exaggeration to say that this bridge is going to become an icon of the Eaton Centre.

Attachments

• IMG_0275.JPG
    IMG_0275.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 470
  • IMG_0276.JPG
    IMG_0276.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 569
  • IMG_0277.JPG
    IMG_0277.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 493
I got some picture from the city hall side as most of us seem to be photographing it from the Eton Centre side.
Tonight, they're breaking off that concrete cross beam that was used to hold up the old bridge. A lot of demo work happening in the patio space over Oakley. Hopefully that becomes a store like Harry Rosen on the opposite side or a cafe with patio space.

img_0276-jpg.110839
I wonder if they might turn it into extra seating for the second cup there rather than more store space?

Since nobody visits the Retail forum, and the Eaton Centre has had a highly discussed LED sign, I thought I'd put this here:

Shoppers (former Hard Rock Cafe) is building a curved LED display across from the Eaton Centre that looks way better than the multiple paper billboards that were there before. Slowly, this place is actually turning into Times Square (though we're a few decades from catching up).

img_0170-jpg.110761

It's Canada's largest digital screen! photos of the completed look:
https://twitter.com/WBPicturesCan/status/871774701739233282

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

View attachment 110790 View attachment 110791

I just noticed that they're building the bridge backwards. Right now, The Bay's round side is facing North towards the Eaton Centre and the Eaton Centre's square side is facing South towards The Bay. That tells us a little about how they're going to transport it to the site and fit it in place. It looks like a tight fit because the Eaton Centre is recessed but by flipping it this way, they'll be able to rotate it into place.

Looking at these photos, my eyes are distracted by that horrible recladding of the Simpsons tower.

The view down both ways on Queen should be pretty magnificent, too. I'd imagine better than the last one.

Back