While acknowledging @adHominem's point that its unfair to put bare-legged young women outside (elves) in the winter for hours on end......(that was your point, right? LOL)

You know what would fit neatly in Trinity Square............named for.......the adjacent church............a Christmas Tree! Right in the middle of the labyrinth.

They could actually use a real one, too.

Though maybe they shouldn't use the Swarovski decorations for that one....

On a side tangent, making me think of this space, makes me think of the faux creek fountain that's invariably out of order, which in turn made me think of how that could be used for the holidays (cross-country skiing anyone?) LOL......

Which then got me thinking of how it could be used in warmer weather, which then got me thinking how cool that square could be for halloween......with the creek lit and glowing red like a river of blood.....
Don't forget to send Cadillac Fairview your consulting fee!

Not surprising! From BlogTO. https://www.blogto.com/city/2022/11/eaton-centre-christmas-tree-2022/

A longstanding tradition at the CF Toronto Eaton Centre will reportedly come to an end this holiday season, with the shopping mall's management revealing that it will forego a Christmas tree of any kind for its 2022 seasonal celebration.
Yeah, that tree was a draw for them, but it was also generally sponsored. Swarovski, Starbucks, etc. The tree is very likely scrapped for lack of a sponsor, as much as construction.

C'mon, this is CF. If something's gonna cost *them* money, it's probably not something they want to do.

9ADEE018-9A27-45B2-9674-3BD94CB01B20.jpeg
46FD6EAB-C7C4-425C-8CBA-96BE921C14D9.jpeg

And in typical BlogTO fashion, that entire "article" is written so people can get all upset that CF is cancelling Christmas, without hardly a mention of the real, and one-time reason, that there is no Christmas tree this year. It's just designed to spread disinformation and increase their clicks in the process.

The framing of the glass ceiling at the Eaton Centre is part of the architecture for sure. It evokes the ceiling glazing used on 19th-century arcades made up of individual panes of glass.

The Eaton Centre's iconic original design was essentially a design informed by Modernism. But it also featured an interesting combination of early Postmodern-style historical references (e.g. the arched glazed ceiling) and details inspired by the High Tech movement (e.g. the exposed ductwork).

That combination of design elements makes it quite unique. It's still worth preserving in my opinion through renovations that respect the original design. With that said, the glass ceiling needs to be replaced for practical reasons. It hasn't fared well over the past decade in terms of keeping rainwater out during storms.

Took a look at the finished parts today, @junctionist is spot on with their analysis. Although it's not as "clean" as Yorkdale's atrium or Calgary's The Core, the smaller glass panels fit with the shape of Eaton's galleria.

IMG_3069.jpeg
IMG_3068.jpeg

I don't think Eaton's indoor snow show deserved all the hate it got online.

I went and saw it yesterday and there were huge crowds, a lot of interest, and audible gasps when it began. It was honestly a very well executed effect and I'm not one who usually fawns over selfie-insta bait.

Edit: Looks like they've done this before in 2010 and coincidentally also during renovations.

Also, adding a photo of the previously Richtree food market:

IMG_3280.jpeg

Last edited:
What is the snow made out of? Is it actual snow that melts or is it some synthetic that they need to sweep up afterwards?

Yeah the vibes were super festive - I was passing through as it was going on and people seemed to really enjoy it.

Though this being Canada...just step outside at the right time and you'd get the same.

What is the snow made out of? Is it actual snow that melts or is it some synthetic that they need to sweep up afterwards?

I sure hope it isn't more microplastic.

AoD

So it lands on the floors, making them super slippery, and suddenly the crowds are all on their backs like in a lame 90s comedy with Shelley Long in it?

At least you didn't say 'Benny Hill'; that would have been a far more jarring image.

Back