News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

There was no question mark on my 'huh'. I was trying to express mild surprise.

Hugo Boss is moving into the old Laura space. The Haight & Ashbury pop-up has closed - perhaps Kate Spade will go there.

I walked by last week and the old Haight & Ashbury had hoarding that said something with some Italian designer's name...I walked by again today and the hoarding was blank...Kate Spade hoarding is up across from that

Last edited:
Affecting a number of Toronto malls including TEC.

globeandmail 6:03pm via SocialFlow
Retailer Bikini Village files for bankruptcy protection.

I walked by last week and the old Haight & Ashbury had hoarding that said something with some Italian designer's name...I walked by again today and the hoarding was blank...Kate Spade hoarding is up across from that

Brunello Cucinelli is going in there, which is pretty expensive for the Eaton Centre.

The Eaton Centre appears to have abandoned its strategy of the past decade or so where it went after U.S. chains that appeal to teens, and now seems to targeting grown ups and higher-end shoppers (esp. with Saks on one end, Nordstrom on the other).

The Eaton Centre appears to have abandoned its strategy of the past decade or so where it went after U.S. chains that appeal to teens, and now seems to targeting grown ups and higher-end shoppers (esp. with Saks on one end, Nordstrom on the other).

Cuccinelli is opening at the eaton center??? I'm not liking it. High end stores are going to malls and scattering all over the city. Yorkville, yorkdale, the eaton center. I don't get it.

If I wanted to buy $800 pants, the Eaton Centre would not be my first choice. It seems too high-end for them.

A lot of people said the same thing about dropping thousands of dollars on an outfit at the Bay, but The Room reportedly does well. Not saying that the Eaton Centre will necessarily succeed at this strategy (it might bomb simply because, as you say, people buying $800 pants are not doing so at the Eaton Centre), but I'm simply saying that the retail environment seems to be changing quickly these days, and a lot of assumptions are being tossed out the window.

Eaton Centre might appeal to the Bay Street crowd. People can go on their lunch breaks (if they take lunch breaks) fairly easily and because it's a mall, stays open until 9 except for Sundays. Yorkville stores are closed by 8 PM, depending on the day, save for Indigo, supermarkets and restaurants. While I've never spent $800 on pants, I have bought items that originally cost $800+ on sale (I paid around $250 for something that was $850 once).

the Old Haight & Ashbury store now has a Sign up -- new London based retailer, REISS - which was made famous by Kate Middleton - and it is definitely not high end. Pants are 100 GBP in the UK -- but a great addition to the EC !

the Old Haight & Ashbury store now has a Sign up -- new London based retailer, REISS - which was made famous by Kate Middleton - and it is definitely not high end. Pants are 100 GBP in the UK -- but a great addition to the EC !

OMG! I didn't even know they were opening here!

A lot of people said the same thing about dropping thousands of dollars on an outfit at the Bay, but The Room reportedly does well. Not saying that the Eaton Centre will necessarily succeed at this strategy (it might bomb simply because, as you say, people buying $800 pants are not doing so at the Eaton Centre), but I'm simply saying that the retail environment seems to be changing quickly these days, and a lot of assumptions are being tossed out the window.

And within a year or so, there will be a Saks at one end and Nordies at the other, both of which are at higher price points than Eatons and The Bay (or even Simpsons) ever were.

Back