That building is currently a support centre for cancer survivors and those going through the recovery process.

It's a deep lot. But I don't know if a tower could be easily set behind the house. There's also a coach house at the back, that I can't see remaining if a tower is planned for the site.

81wells.jpg

churchwells.jpg

Sales Ad here

Last edited:
It's a deep lot. But I don't know if a tower could be easily set behind the house. There's also a coach house at the back, that I can't see remaining if a tower is planned for the site.

It's not like this is going to be more than 25 or 30 stories max., it'll fit the lot just fine. It's a hell of a shame to lose these buildings though.

http://thetorontoblog.com/2011/09/2...ld-by-cancer-patient-support-centre-for-4-5m/

Condo highrise expected for Church-Wellesley site sold by cancer patient support centre for $4.5M

Photos on the article link

According to a Twitter post yesterday by Urbanation, a research and consulting firm that tracks Toronto’s condominium real estate market, 81 Wellesley Street East has been sold for $4.5 million, with a “future high-rise condo site planned.†The property, which includes the 5,000-square-foot, 3-storey Odette house fronting on Wellesley Street, and a 2,200-square-foot, two-storey coach house behind it, was owned by the Wellspring cancer support centre.

However, the tweet did link to a Colliers International real estate listing for the property, which describes 81 Wellesley as a “rare boutique building†that is “free of any historical designation/listing†and offers “development potential.â€

Wellspring decided to sell the property not only since it was outgrowing the site as it provided additional services to meet steadily growing demand, but also because it was becoming too expensive to operate from the two houses.

One resident who told me nearly two months ago that the sale of 81 Wellesley was imminent also said he has heard that a developer has a large condo tower in the works for the Wellspring site and the adjacent property to its west — a four-storey brick apartment building with street-level retail at the southeast corner of Church and Wellesley Streets. An H-shaped structure constructed in 1926, that building has street addresses of 77 Wellesley Street East and 501 Church Street. I asked a member of the City’s planning department staff last month if a condo tower has been proposed for the corner, and was told no development applications had been filed. However, the planner did say that since Church & Wellesley is among several downtown areas facing significant “development pressure,†it’s quite possible someone will seek to build a highrise there.

Last edited:
Wow. Thanks for that post.

Let's hope whatever goes in is either a lovely miracle of adaptive re-use, or at least a worthy successor. The brick building on the corner is awfully cute, I'd hate to see it go. Same for the house. This intersection is desperately in need of rejuvenation, though, especially on it's north-east and north-west sides. The buildings there are in notably awful shape.
I find it interesting that Church Street has been so immune to development in this recent boom. It's a street that does excellently, despite it's crumbling buildings and extortionist rents.

Last edited:
Wow. Thanks for that post.

Let's hope whatever goes in is either a lovely miracle of adaptive re-use, or at least a worthy successor. The brick building on the corner is awfully cute, I'd hate to see it go. Same for the house. This intersection is desperately in need of rejuvenation, though, especially on it's north-east and north-west sides. The buildings there are in notably awful shape.
I find it interesting that Church Street has been so immune to development in this recent boom. It's a street that does excellently, despite it's crumbling buildings and extortionist rents.

there was a project at dundonald which have been 25 stories but it wanted to wipe out historic buildings so got kaibashed. another application up the street is around same height in the open field on a corner at isabella i believe.

They should leave Church St. alone between Alexander & Isabella. I'd like to see that whole strip receive a special designation so that any developments are heavily scrutinized.

There's nothing wrong with the building on the n/w corner, it's in good condition save for mountains of pigeon poop. On the n/e corner is a fabulous building but it desperately needs some serious attention before it collapses onto itself but it should never be considered for redevelopment. A case could be made for full restoration of the front west & south sides and then rentals built in behind making full use of the lot and create proper sized apartments - and more of them. As for 501 Church/77 Wellesley I can't believe anyone is entertaining tearing down that perfectly good building. Everything here works, why break it?

On today agenda
The Toronto and East York Community Council:

1. Directs the Acting Director, Policy and Research, to report back to Toronto and East York Community Council on the possibility of designating the building at 81 Wellesley Street East under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act.

Origin (November 2, 2011) Letter from Councillor Kristyn Wong-Tam, Ward 27, Toronto Centre-Rosedale
Summary The building at 81 Wellesley Street East is an architecturally significant structure but is not currently protected by heritage designation. The building is clearly a surviving part of the early neighbourhood development of this area.

In order to preserve the building as an important heritage resource, I am requesting City staff undertake a process to review it for designation under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act.

Background Information (November 2, 2011) Letter from Councillor Kristyn Wong-Tam - Request to Designate 81 Wellesley Street East Under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act
(http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2011/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-42116.pdf)

Wow, they just keep targeting the Village. I'm generally a pro-development kind of guy, but right now I just wished they would leave Church Street the way it is (although some renovations would be nice). I'm glad that the Church/Gloucester proposal got withdrawn earlier this year. Facadism incorporating houses and nice old apartments just looks awkward and unnecessary. Church Street (south of Gay Village), around Carlton is where this is needed to fill in the ugly parking lots and incomplete streetscape.

What I'd like to see is the buildings immediately fronting onto Church St saved (although some of them restored, because some of them are in pretty shoddy shape), and then redevelopment occur in behind.

Ideally, I'd like to see 20-30 storey towers with town homes at the base. So basically something like Radio City. I think that's the type of development that would be good for the neighbourhood. The 60s and 70s era towers in the area were kind of the right idea, in that they don't actually front onto Church St, but the problem with them is that they have a really lousy street presence.

It's a very in-demand neighbourhood, and increasing the supply of medium-income units I would hope would drive down some of the really high rent and buy prices.

Back