All change, again. They have now apparently withdrawn the rental building application and will be putting in a new application for an Office Building. In a letter to the Toronto Preservation Board meeting last week on the HCD for St Lawrence their lawyers said: " City Council ultimately deferred its consideration of the item in order to allow the applicant and the City to address environmental compatibility issues posed by noise and emissions from equipment within the adjacent office development at 280 King Street East. The complexities associated with the potential mitigation measures have resulted in ongoing delays in the enactment of the zoning amendment recommended by City staff. First Gulf acquired 25 Ontario in October 2013 and is moving forward to refine and revise the proposal set out in Applications in a manner that responds to the challenges posed by the adjacent office development."
"

Where does it say in that they've withdrawn their residential application and are submitting a new application for office?

That paragraph is referring to the adjacent office building at 282 King (SAS Canada HQ).

Edit: sorry, didn't see that First Gulf had purchased it.

Last edited:
I'm not doubting you. Just wondering where you got the information, since that letter you quoted (or at least the portion you quoted) suggests even FG is being tight-lipped.

First Gulf only does commercial. If the development were still to be residential, it would be Great Gulf handling it.

I'm not doubting you. Just wondering where you got the information, since that letter you quoted (or at least the portion you quoted) suggests even FG is being tight-lipped.
The planning application for 25 Ontario has now been removed from the City Development Application site. I guess we must stay tuned for a new one for the office, I gather they have been told they need to go back to Square 1 and have a public meeting etc.

Last edited:
The planning application for 25 Ontario has now been removed from the City Development Application site. I guess we must stay tuned for a new one for the office, I gather they have been told they need to back to Square 1 and have a public meeting etc.
Just cant see how an office bldg. can thrive there?:confused:

See across the street. The Globe and Mail Tower and Coca-cola head office is 650,000 square feet.

And the SAS building that is immediately south of it on Ontario/King.
Just curious with the existing and u/c office development, is there still demand? (over 1 million sq. ft. of future office space) in that area, if so it was unexpected:cool:

Back