Which of the four entries in the Etobicoke Civic Centre design competition do you favour?

• Team 1: Moriyama + Teshima, MJMA, FORREC

Votes: 17 15.9%
  • Team 2: Diamond Schmitt Architects, Michael Van Valkenberg Associates

Votes: 26 24.3%
  • Team 3: KPMB Architects, West 8

Votes: 42 39.3%
  • Team 4: Henning Larsen, Adamson Associates, PMA Landscape Architects

Votes: 22 20.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

UtakataNoAnnex

Member Bio
Reaction score
As with choosing paint colours, I feel that one should always look beyond the marketing names in favour of what colour you literally see in front of you.

What makes it gold? The renderings show beige-brown in my eyes. Real gold is the likes of Royal Bank Plaza.
Is says they're using gold coloured aluminum from the official exterior finishes examples posted by WislaHD a few entries previous. So I'll go by that.

junctionist

Member Bio
Reaction score
Is says they're using gold coloured aluminum from the official exterior finishes examples posted by WislaHD a few entries previous. So I'll go by that.

That might just be what the supplier calls it because gold sounds more appealing than beige-brown in today's market.

AlvinofDiaspar

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
That might just be what the supplier calls it because gold sounds more appealing than beige-brown in today's market.

Good architects don't choose the material and colour based on what's it's called by the vendor - you have sample chips and material palette for a reason. And honestly:

AoD

Last edited:

UtakataNoAnnex

Member Bio
Reaction score
Because they call me pink doesn't mean I'm pink... /s

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Report on advancing this project is on the agenda for the Jan 11th meeting of CreateTO

Report here: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2022/ra/bgrd/backgroundfile-174668.pdf

Not a lot that's new...........its moving forward. But this is the City's schedule, as of now:

1641308634959.png

Not sure if we knew all of this or not:

1641308714730.png

1641308729550.png

JoeParez

Transit Enthusiast
Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto

This whole gold trend is getting out of hand, especially with anodizing.
The architect is probably looking for Gold Anodizing which costs an arm and a leg and there are very few vendors in Ontario that offer it.
The issue with it is that all your material has to be anodized at the same time to get the same finish and there is no guarantee that the batch will be consistent throughout. At some point, the vendor has to clean the tanks, and you'll get a variation on the finish, which ends up looking awful. Especially if welding is involved.

You can also get a post-painted gold mica finish, which is more consistent than anodizing. but for some reason architects balk at painted finishes.

I'm getting nightmares because my company did the interior panels at the Drake Hotel and the architect insisted on anodized finishes. We kept telling them (and made several samples) that for what they wanted to do, a painted finish would be so much better (not to mention the cost savings). Nope. Anodized. We threw away so many panels because of the inconsistencies.

/rant.

Last edited: