Too bad. That's probably the best-looking office building in Mississauga.
These are still around...
1588804532055.png

This would be the perfect building to implode, but I do understand that this style of demolition is out of vogue these days...

I enjoy that style of Brutalist office building with a bold but simple geometric grid facade. It's not the only example of its kind, but it's a shame to see it go.

It is a nice little building, but losing it is a small price to pay for what will take its place. Unfortunately, its relative location on the site makes it very difficult to practically preserve or incorporate into a new development.

Last edited:
Probably the tallest building ever to be demolished in Mississauga? The city is growing up!

This is a fairly large demolition even by Toronto standards. Not too often a building this large gets the wrecking ball.
Not many recently, or at least not entirely, as facade retention is in vogue (Concourse Building /EY Tower). But in the 60s and 70s many large buildings bit the dust - the old Toronto Star building (which I believe was 21 floors, now part of the TD Centre), Ford Hotel (now Atrium on Bay), the Eaton buildings (now Eaton Centre), the hotel that was on the site of the Sun Life Centre, etc.

First Canadian Place - Bank of Montreal Tower is on the location of the former Toronto Star building at King and Bay - not TD Centre. The civic address was 80 King Street West - north side of King Street.

We lived in Montreal at the time, and during one of our first visits to Toronto, and walking around downtown, saw the demolition in progress - walked under the hoarding covering the sidewalk. Impressed by the size of the building being taken down.

Yes, you're right. The banking pavilion at TD Centre replaced the Bank of Toronto building, a beautiful building but not as tall as the other lost buildings I mentioned.
First Canadian Place - Bank of Montreal Tower is on the location of the former Toronto Star building at King and Bay - not TD Centre. The civic address was 80 King Street West - north side of King Street.

We lived in Montreal at the time, and during one of our first visits to Toronto, and walking around downtown, saw the demolition in progress - walked under the hoarding covering the sidewalk. Impressed by the size of the building being taken down.

Excellent fly-over Koops65 but it looks like you are missing the smallest building and the layout is slightly off :)
Thanks for pointing that out, fixing it now...

Probably the tallest building ever to be demolished in Mississauga? The city is growing up!

I guess it is 1 storey taller than Mississauga's original city hall
1588963005105.png

But this office (once at Dundas/Confederation) comes a close second!
1588963789345.png

Back