They stripped down almost the entire outer shell in just a couple of days. There has to be lots of value in those steel beams and thus the choice of demolition method.

8C08BB42-9E1A-49B3-9757-8EC3468EA2C8.jpeg
97DC280C-992F-40FD-BC2C-D29852FA49DC.jpeg

Sad to see these concreate building facades go. I can’t see why they won't preserve these facades when they're held by sturdy I beams in the back . And could be reinforced with I beams in the front as seen in the photos up above . While they tear the interior down and shore for the basement.

Sad to see these concreate building facades go. I can’t see why they won't preserve these facades when they're held by sturdy I beams in the back . And could be reinforced with I beams in the front as seen in the photos up above . While they tear the interior down and shore for the basement.

I imagine a couple of reasons in addition to the cost of preserving all or parts of the structure: (1) there is probably no underground parking and (2) the location of the building may not make it ideal to build 4 towers on the site. So I guess it all all boils down to cost.

It's not a masonry wall. These precast panels are attached to the structure. They could be easily unbolted and hung on a new structure if they weren't 50 years old. They are extremely heavy and end of life. There's a high risk panels would fail and coming crashing down if they weren't all removed first.

These precast concrete window frames were also all created at a time when they were only using single panes of glass for the windows, so they're really poor thermal performers. No-one has moved to retrofit them all for double-pane windows either, so that must be cost prohibitive, but I would love too see it happen, or at least get some buildings with precast frames built with double or triple-pane in the first place. I am rather sad to see these all going.

These precast concrete window frames were also all created at a time when they were only using single panes of glass for the windows, so they're really poor thermal performers. No-one has moved to retrofit them all for double-pane windows either, so that must be cost prohibitive, but I would love too see it happen, or at least get some buildings with precast frames built with double or triple-pane in the first place. I am rather sad to see these all going.

The office portion of Artists' Alley will feature precast similar to this. But sadly, it's but a single project among hundreds...

There was a time when everyone craved glass bored of all the precast going up. It will come again.

There was a time when everyone craved glass bored of all the precast going up. It will come again.
Not holding my breath for that to happen and hope not see it again

July 25
Sometime in Aug, it will be gone and only a memory what sat there in the past. The precast on the south will be gone this week and the starting of cutting the steel in the pieces.

Need to come back in 10 years to get an update shot from this location showing the changes in the core. Depending on what get built on the land in front of me, may shoot from the east side of the street.
50156187272_00277fa63c_b.jpg

50156414432_4eb60f756b_b.jpg

50156413567_5ab5920fc5_b.jpg

50156182366_142319711d_b.jpg

50155622963_a58261c334_b.jpg

50156411982_d9234383c1_b.jpg

50156411632_363fbf8459_b.jpg

50156411032_031e515ae8_b.jpg

50155621328_fc39931a67_b.jpg

It's so odd to see this disappearing. I spent many hours in the Tim Horton's in this building as I lived nearby. I also like this building, but didn't like the way it was oriented. Most office buildings in the City Centre of Mississauga are not oriented towards the street, they usually have parking lots around them, and are geared towards the vehicle.

Indeed. I never thought these buildings would actually end up demolished given that they are fairly significant structures - and always thought that integrating them into the urban fabric of a new downtown would have been challenging.

While it's good that the problem of urbanizing them is fixed by simply demolishing them, it removes what little there is of "heritage" in Mississauga, which is a shame.

Back