I've noticed the stages of construction are much quicker in Mississauga as compared to Toronto.

Thought about it. May be because Mississauga's city council doesnot have as many Proposals and are not as strict.

There's a lot of factors that could contribute to it.

One big thing is that most proposals don't seem to hit the public eye until much later in the process than they do in Toronto. By the time they become known, they're already very close to approval and can effectively begin construction quicker. This isn't true for everything though.

Another is that less demolitions need to happen in Mississauga since so many sites are greenfields/low density res/parking lots, and when they do need to happen, there's more room to work and less adjacent neighbours, so demolitions can be done quicker and with less disruptions that would otherwise need to be planned with the city and public.

The point about Mississauga city Council being strict is not true. Historically, they were incredibly strict in terms of height limits, and are still that way outside of MCC. Older plans for the parking lot infill around SQ1 had massings that were much shorter. It took Absolute World to finally break the mold and set the precedent for other tall towers in MCC. Now M-City and the Exchange District Condos are continuing to push that bar higher.

Last edited:
Downtown Mississauga doesn't have density restrictions in the zoning for downtown which saves a rezoning process for almost every development in the core as well. This makes the approval process much quicker as it's mostly just a site plan application. Developments do have to submit a small rezoning to lift the holding restriction, but that's mostly a technical matter that doesn't add any time beyond the site plan approval process.

It's the same thing more recently with downtown Hamilton, which has put in place generous as of right zoning permissions, though in that case with a 30 storey height limit. Developments there aren't pushing that limit and are going in as of right which means a much quicker approval process.

The approval process outside of downtown in Mississauga is no different than in Toronto though. From my experience it's actually slightly more bureaucratic if anything.

org_44ed7fc0405a1c84_1597253742000.jpg
org_b604bcffcb4724df_1597253982000.jpg
org_b2cc70034e95999d_1597254004000.jpg
org_cf1037e5f3a61235_1597253906000.jpg

Project going to council on Aug 27 for rubber stamping approval

Part of 3 floors still stand and will be gone next week as the materiel around the base needs to remove first and put into trucks.

Trucks were been loaded with steel from the building while I was there.

2 large core drilling machines working in the north west corner.

Once the 35s tower which I assume will be an office tower is built, the city will move its office staff out of 201 to get it ready to be remove to allow the street from Sq One to connect to Burnhamthrope.

Photos to follow

Part of 3 floors still stand and will be gone next week as the materiel around the base needs to remove first and put into trucks.

Once the 35s tower which I assume will be an office tower is built, the city will move its office staff out of 201 to get it ready to be remove to allow the street from Sq One to connect to Burnhamthrope.

Photos to follow
Do you mean the smallest tower? It looks more like 25 storeys and doesn't look like residential as it doesn't have balconies. The floor heights look too short and the floorplate too small for office though. Perhaps it's a hotel tower?

Do you mean the smallest tower? It looks more like 25 storeys and doesn't look like residential as it doesn't have balconies. The floor heights look too short and the floorplate too small for office though. Perhaps it's a hotel tower?

I think it's possible they might have redesigned that tower since the initial rendering.

Photos to follow
You're saying 201 will be demolished as well? I was under the impression the City had just extended (or was in the process of extending) their lease.

You're saying 201 will be demolished as well? I was under the impression the City had just extended (or was in the process of extending) their lease.
It will be once a new office tower to the city liking is built. The city wants more space and everyone in one location than is now. There was to be a 2nd tower at City Hall location, but was kill with the building of the square. Have never like the current city hall from day one and lack of vision for future needs to meet the city needs as it grows. The city was only to be 750,000, but heading toward 1.3 million plus.

The only way the street from Sq One can get to Burnhamthrope is to tear the building down.

Aug 13
There will be no on street parking on Burnhamthrope in front of this development unless a lane of traffic is removed. They are in the process of building a new curb. The plan at one time was to reduce Burnhamthrope to 4 lanes only until the idea to run the LRT on it. If the LRT had got built, it would be only 6 lanes in place of the current 7. There is still an on/off debate to still reduce Burnhamthrope to 4 lanes in place of 7 to match either ends of the road.

Time to get rid of on street parking in the core and elsewhere.
50227827841_4bd024f21f_b.jpg

50227827966_834fa8a553_b.jpg

50227828071_81773e7f07_b.jpg

50228047232_d608a0bf1b_b.jpg

50227828206_ac832f6af3_b.jpg

50227827221_46d252b4c1_b.jpg

50227184303_1488721e30_b.jpg

50227828466_839df2d195_b.jpg

50227184513_fafc9e2764_b.jpg

50227828861_b77c457b49_b.jpg

50227184818_4e5ed104a8_b.jpg

50227829126_0475917d5b_b.jpg

Reactions: PMT
When driving on 403 southbound from 401, the 90 degree curve in the highway just after Eglinton is my favourite section of any highway in GTA. It feels great seeing Mississauga's skyline slowly appear from nowhere. Right now Absolute towers are the largest ones. With this building done, that curve is going to look even better. I just hope this building is not visible before Eglinton or else the magic of sudden appearance will be lost.

Back