What's with all the new grass along Burnhamthorpe? I thought the tower-in-the-park thing was passe.

The new grass, sidewalks and paved road sections are done by the consortium of companies constructing the new Burnhamthorpe water main. I imagine part of their contract is to fix all roads and sidewalks they had to dig.

2.jpg

The new grass, sidewalks and paved road sections are done by the consortium of companies constructing the new Burnhamthorpe water main. I imagine part of their contract is to fix all roads and sidewalks they had to dig.
Correct. The site restoration work is entirely unrelated to the Exchange District project. The Region of Peel's Burnhamthorpe Water Project is slowly wrapping up, and contractors are required to restore the site to original condition (asphalt paving, sidewalk, curb & gutter, sod replacement).

We are too accustomed to Toronto's choked, narrow streets with many operating at a single lane in each direction. This isn't how you should build dense downtowns either. Ideally Burnhamthorpe's public boulevard should be narrower with structures built right up to it. It doesn't need fewer traffic lanes to be urban. I'm not surprised by the Sheik Zayad Road reference. Narrower lanes and the removal of any right or left turn lanes would allow a significant reduction in width. Street parking in off hours.

The width of Burnhamthorpe through MCC should be viewed as a boon, not a detriment. It's easy to write it off as wholly anti-urban from a downtown Toronto-based perspective, but urbanity isn't everything - it's incredibly flexible when taking into account potential for rapid transit and public realm improvements, as well as street parking like mentioned above. We already saw that it was going to be used for a section of the downtown loop of the HuLRT, which would have reduced the lanes to 2 each way for that brief section between Duke of York and Hurontario. The downtown loop will most certainly re-emerge as a later phase and make use of the road space. Also, since MCC will most likely not get a GO spur in the forseeable future, it wouldn't be out of the question to suggest that a proposal for an HuLRT spur along Burnhamthorpe to Erindale GO could emerge eventually.

The green space along the south side of Burnhamthorpe is definitely reminiscent of tower-in-the-park, but that's all space that the public realm can use anyway. It's better to have space and not need it, as opposed to needing it and not having it. It's easier to fill empty space than it is to tear things down for new space. Fortunately, the density on the north side will be significantly more than the south side, with both Exchange District and the Oxford development. The current state of density in Toronto makes important transit projects and public space more expensive. What Mississauga has at the moment is not all that great from a traditional urban perspective, but it positions it well for growth in the future.

Last edited:
I think some of the lanes can be repurposed into a BRT or a potential LRT that goes from Hurontario to UofT Mississauga Campus via Erindale station.

This will allow people coming from Milton who work in the Square One area to take transit.

They can take the Go Train upto Erindale and get off and take the LRT to Square One area.

Isn't there any shoring involved in this project ? Because this project has a couple of big skyscrapers to build !

I think some of the lanes can be repurposed into a BRT or a potential LRT that goes from Hurontario to UofT Mississauga Campus via Erindale station.

This will allow people coming from Milton who work in the Square One area to take transit.

They can take the Go Train upto Erindale and get off and take the LRT to Square One area.
what if we build a central station for Mississauga that connects to the existing Milton line😳😳😳😳😳

That's pretty far from a good connection for MCC to the Milton line. No loop of HuLRT to MCC. I could imagine a bus that does the loop and goes to Cooksville GO being more effective that the LRT.

Back