McDonalds had a long term lease on the previous building. They agreed to vacate to allow Exhibit to be built in return for moving back in once construction was completed. I'm surprised it took this long for them to reappear.

If it's anything like some of the newer designs it shouldn't be all that bad. Lot's of automation and luckily a lack of 90's furniture to be seen anywhere.

I'm glad to see McD's coming back to this location, although most of their new stores are much smaller footprint, which means less comfort when grabbing a bite. The old location here was massive, and was a cool place to see the steel going up on the ROM Crystal across the street. Amazing how time flies.

I'd always thought that Exhibit's skewed volumes were something original architectually-wise. However I had the fortune of visiting Moscow in Russia last year and saw these towers in the Moscow International Business Center. They're called the Capital City Towers and the one on the right is a supertall. The quality of the buildings in this section is stunning. Never thought the Russians had it in them. If we could only steal a couple of them and put them in Toronto.
20170612_180318.jpg
20170612_180226.jpg

Attachments

• 20170612_180318.jpg
    20170612_180318.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 563
  • 20170612_180226.jpg
    20170612_180226.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 575
Limiting the praise strictly to the architecture and design, fine. But otherwise, Russia is a second-world. kleptocratic international menace run by thugs and thieves. And I 100% guarantee you the capital we see before in this picture is utterly filthy.

For this reason I'm reluctant to give praise.

The screwed volumes thing all started with the New Museum in NYC as far as I know. It certainly didn't originate in Moscow. Moscow's new skyline cluster is second-rate, kitschy and derivative.

But otherwise, Russia is a second-world. kleptocratic international menace run by thugs and thieves.

As opposed to whom? Our great friend and benefactor, the US? George Bush and the WMDs, Vietnam, the Middle East and probably a dozen other countries they've meddled in and continue to do so even today. Our good friends, who bully us when convenient with their tariffs and talk of tariffs by the biggest thug of all: Donald Trump! We were great, good friends, when we had the oil that they needed. Mexico too. Now with the advent of fracking and horizontal drilling they don't need us anymore so we're as disposable as used toilet paper. Thanks for that comment, my laugh of the day. If you want to talk more about thugs and thieves, don't even get me started on Wall Street!
IC, awaiting your ,"Let's get back on topic,please"!

Walking by here a few weeks ago I was getting a wee bit concerned that maybe McDonald's was bailing on this site after all. So this is the best news I've read all week - and finally a confirmation of its return. Even rich people like a Quarter Pounder sometimes! I like the long term staying power of McDonald's at this location vs. a high-end restaurant that may come and go with our ever-changing foodie scene and fickle Torontonians. It keeps the neighbourhood real.

McDonald's provides a familiar and convenient choice for families and school groups visiting the ROM, busy and frugal U of T students, and tourists. It's a good idea to have a McDonald's at this location, though there have to be odour mitigation measures so people don't have to live with the smell of their deep fryers inside their homes.

McDonald's provides a familiar and convenient choice for families and school groups visiting the ROM, busy and frugal U of T students, and tourists. It's a good idea to have a McDonald's at this location, though there have to be odour mitigation measures so people don't have to live with the smell of their deep fryers inside their homes.

Damn good coffee, too.

Back