Also, the old logo related strongly to the architecture of FCP itself in the form of the notched corner.

ab056e3c.png

The connection between the Bank of Montreal logo design and FCP architecture was eliminated with the introduction of the preceding "BMO" and the red circle.

1385e8f6.jpg

Last edited:
To be fair, there was a reason the logo was changed, namely that the bank rebranded itself from "Bank of Montreal" to "BMO" in 2002, as it branched out to other financial services and became more international. ("Royal Bank of Canada" did a similar thing when it rebranded to "RBC", and ditto for "Toronto Dominion Bank" to "TD" and "Bank of Nova Scotia" to "Scotiabank" -- no bank seems to want to actually be from somewhere specific anymore.)

^^ You mean like Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation or Internationale Nederlanden Groep?

As a counterpoint, everyone knows Deutsche Bank by that name, instead of the anonymous "DB". Now that we're promoting our banking sector for its stability, it would seem a good idea to have the Canadian geography explicit in the names.

^^ You mean like Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation or Internationale Nederlanden Groep?

They are better known as HSBC and ING. I bet you 99% of people on the street would not know what ING stands for. I certainly didn't.

To be fair, there was a reason the logo was changed, namely that the bank rebranded itself from "Bank of Montreal" to "BMO" in 2002, as it branched out to other financial services and became more international. ("Royal Bank of Canada" did a similar thing when it rebranded to "RBC", and ditto for "Toronto Dominion Bank" to "TD" and "Bank of Nova Scotia" to "Scotiabank" -- no bank seems to want to actually be from somewhere specific anymore.)

And don't forget the last of the big 5: the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce. (And as with BMO and RBC, there's also a bit of "stock ticker compatibility" involved.)

And don't forget the last of the big 5: the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce. (And as with BMO and RBC, there's also a bit of "stock ticker compatibility" involved.)

Actually, 'stock ticker confusion.' CIBC is CM, BMO uses its ticker but employees still use BOM as the short form, and RBC is RY. BNS is actually the closest to its ticker, so of course they went with Scotiabank...

I agree BMO's old logo is much better. They should bring it back. No reason they couldn't while keeping the "BMO" name. And TD should go back to "TD Bank". I've never liked "TD Canada Trust", what an unwieldy name (besides, no one calls it that).

I agree BMO's old logo is much better. They should bring it back. No reason they couldn't while keeping the "BMO" name. And TD should go back to "TD Bank". I've never liked "TD Canada Trust", what an unwieldy name (besides, no one calls it that).

That's because TD merged with Canada Trust to become TD Canada Trust.. I can even remember the old Canada Trusts.. so that means it must have been pretty darn recent..

I would imagine that they studied the name TD Canada Trust with marketing focus groups. In my opinion TD Canada Trust in an advertisement does seem like a warmer name than TD Bank, even if most people call it TD anyways.

Back