It is distinctly greenish, especially from a distance.

I doubt it'll still be noticeable once the old marble is gone though. It's just greenish by comparison. Once it's gone there's nothing for your eye to compare it to and it'll look white again.

Look back MANY pages and you will see photos of it and it is sort of green(ish) with a pattern to reflect light.

Ok, time for some physics here..

The new cladding is made out of glass. As light passes through anything that is not a vacuum, it will slow down or speed up, but not uniformly throughout the spectrum. This is known as refraction, and differing levels of refraction can causes the appearance of different colours due to the fact that not all colours refract to the same degree. This is essentially why the sky is blue, it is also why it changes colours during different parts of the day as the sun hits at extreme angles (sunrise and sunsets are thusly a spectacle).

For most of the day, if you look at glass from a considerable distance, the refraction is going to create a green hue, there's no way around it. You'll see that it doesn't have that green hue for the whole day, it depends on how the light is hitting it.

A great example is the Ritz, it is clad in 'clear glass' yet it looks quite green. Water is the same way, looks clear until u've got considerable depth, then it begins to take on a green hue.

In Ritz's case, the glass actually has a greenish hue due to iron oxide impurities. In the case of FCP, which is a 5-layered opaque glass with textured fritting, I'm suspecting the green hue is more an effect of the particular light at any given time reacting with the more complex structure. It seems to be on clearer days, on the sides receiving indirect light, that it appears slightly green.

A ways back someone mentioned photographic compression or lenses or something that appeared to make the glass green and that our eyes were being deceived. When the platforms dropped on the north side last week I hauled out the binoculars and glanced at the newly exposed top several times under different lighting conditions and saw green tint. I didn't say anything until tonight as the general consensus now seems to be that we've got a light green tinted building here. Time will tell but on under cloudy conditions I think we're going to miss the original white marble facade of the original building.

West side at noon today:

4976673161_d319bd520e_o.jpg

I was just walking up Spadina and from that distance, this building is giving a whole new meaning to the term "Mint District".

Apologies if that joke has already been made... But it really is that colour.

You know, you could leave this thread for three months, come back and the pictures would be the same. At this rate my kids could be working on this project - or they could finish university, get at job at BMO on the 60th floor and their window would be blocked by this "permamnent" slidy construction thingy.

Last edited:
I'm 32 floors up at Yonge and Carlton and for the last hour I can see a really small but noticeable, bright light shining from within the scaffolding on the east side. I thought it was welding or a blow-torch but it's very consistent. I wonder what they need lighting for on a day like this.

In the last photo, the cladding looks white to me. People should wait for the entire section where the logo is to be revealed before they comment

I think it depends on the time of day and lighting conditions. I must admit it looked a little minty to me today but we have to wait until a good portion is finished before judging it. One thing is for sure, it will be a lot better than it was. The antenna has to be replaced though!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think so, it looked more cobalt white as I approached it at dusk today. One could argue the higher elevated you are, the more it begins to look porcelain white (since it's more susceptible to reflecting overcast which inadvertently gives it that cloudy texture), but even that's debatable. If it were a clear day it'd appear to look less cloudy.

Last edited:

Back