Can you stop being a smug jerk about heritage?

I was walking along Queen W. the other day and could just feel the history in those buildings, block after block, and hoping they were designated as heritage. It reminds me of old Toronto. Same with Spadina & the downtown Bay building. And so many other areas around the city.

I don't quite understand this fixation with specific spots like the warehouses on King St., they seem so bland in comparison.

I was walking along Queen W. the other day and could just feel the history in those buildings, block after block, and hoping they were designated as heritage. It reminds me of old Toronto. Same with Spadina & the downtown Bay building. And so many other areas around the city.

I don't quite understand this fixation with specific spots like the warehouses on King St., they seem so bland in comparison.

Sounds kind of loosey-goosey and straining to sound "sensitive" to me.

Okay, from a "heritage" standpoint, how does this register with you?

101025_3.jpg

And I won't give any backgrounding, other than that the architects' office was in Eclipse Whitewear.

Sounds kind of loosey-goosey and straining to sound "sensitive" to me.

Okay, from a "heritage" standpoint, how does this register with you?

101025_3.jpg

And I won't give any backgrounding, other than that the architects' office was in Eclipse Whitewear.

You've mentioned this before Adma, an architect painted over a fine Victorian, wrapped red brick around its base, stamped some round windows and incorporated an enclosed area behind. Nice enough. But it has little to do with the squandered opportunity we had at M&G. Its as though we've lost our confidence, as a society, in our ability to execute at ground level whereas towers above are fine. I wish we'd let the base run its course in the proposal - a slightly risky proposition with potentially huge upside.

You've mentioned this before Adma, an architect painted over a fine Victorian, wrapped red brick around its base, stamped some round windows and incorporated an enclosed area behind. Nice enough.

And with that tone, you just proved your boneheaded ignorance re Toronto's modern heritage.

if I am not wrong the taller tower is 305m?

Technically it will be 304.3 m (998.4 ft). The Official Plan Amendment would permit a building with a maximum height of up to 305 metres and 92 storeys, not necessarily a building of that height. The height was just rounded up to the nearest whole number in the OPA.

For anyone caught up on the above, wrong! Supertalls start at 300 metres. The Imperial System is dead, move on.

Even in the States (America is a group of two continents, not a country), the imperial system is slowly dying out. The only reason it's still around is that the people there are incredibly stubborn.

Back