I think this nearly ten thousand year old Siberian artefact bears an uncanny resemblance to Gehry's work.
inside full length dark black.jpg

Attachments

• inside full length dark black.jpg
    inside full length dark black.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 1,681
Generally speaking, affordability is the most important factor in housing. 98% of condos are probably more affordable to build and maintain than Gehry's buildings.

Canadian architect Frank Gehry flips off reporter
Canadian-born architect Frank Gehry called 98% of today's buildings "pure s---" and flipped off a reporter who asked if his own work was about being a spectacle.

Following another question, Gehry said most of modern architecture is "damn buildings and that's it."
"In this world we are living in, 98% of everything that is built and designed today is pure s---. There's no sense of design, no respect for humanity or for anything else," he said.
http://www.torontosun.com/2014/10/24/canadian-architect-frank-gehry-flips-off-reporter

Flipping off a reporter is, in and of itself, making a spectacle...
He might as well have just replied with a simple "yes."

Don't get me wrong: I want his waterfall sculpture towers to get built in Toronto's Entertainment District; however, I won't pretend this luxurious project is somehow elevated above other buildings in the city as far as respect for humanity goes. If he was truly focused on "respect for humanity" then his real estate would be about affordability over being glamorous, different, or in any sense artistic.

however, I won't pretend this luxurious project is somehow elevated above other buildings in the city as far as respect for humanity goes. If he was truly focused on "respect for humanity" then his real estate would be about affordability over being glamorous, different, or in any sense artistic.

I think developers have more say than architects in making projects affordable. He said at the same news conference, “I don't ask for work. I don't have a publicist. I'm not waiting for anyone to call me. I work with clients who respect the art of architecture. Therefore, please don't ask questions as stupid as that one."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life...a-question-about-his-critics/article21283932/

It’s also beneficial to think about affordability in a holistic context. Some examples:

What is the lifespan of these affordable buildings? Who will pay for major repairs down the road? Do short-term gains justify long-term pains?

How much profit does one need to make? If a developer can make a better building in exchange for reduced profits (not the same as running at a loss), should we demand it?

Can we quantify the intangible value of architecture that enhances human interaction and experience? Should it matter?

Should we always prefer something just because it’s cheaper? Things are cheaper at Walmart but what about the non-monetary impacts of supporting Walmart? Should they matter? How about the non-monetary impacts of outsourcing to developing countries?

I think developers have more say than architects in making projects affordable. He said at the same news conference, “I don't ask for work. I don't have a publicist. I'm not waiting for anyone to call me. I work with clients who respect the art of architecture. Therefore, please don't ask questions as stupid as that one."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life...a-question-about-his-critics/article21283932/

I wasn't arguing the exclusivity of Gehry's contribution towards the relative unaffordability of his projects.

It’s also beneficial to think about affordability in a holistic context. Some examples:

What is the lifespan of these affordable buildings? Who will pay for major repairs down the road? Do short-term gains justify long-term pains?

How much profit does one need to make? If a developer can make a better building in exchange for reduced profits (not the same as running at a loss), should we demand it?

Can we quantify the intangible value of architecture that enhances human interaction and experience? Should it matter?

Should we always prefer something just because it’s cheaper? Things are cheaper at Walmart but what about the non-monetary impacts of supporting Walmart? Should they matter? How about the non-monetary impacts of outsourcing to developing countries?

Yes. Long-term thinking is important.
Affordability doesn't have to imply poorly built and cheaply constructed real estate. This would be a slight digression into a conversation about provincial housing legislation.

A developer stepping in to build quality social housing, in tower form obviously -- or even, less radically, a developer stepping in to build a quality mixed-use residential tower with fixed prices so that a broader spectrum of consumers could afford to live in those residential units is something, in my opinion, that "respects humanity" so much more than any high-cost unnecessarily sculpted infrastructure with mostly subjective ambitions could.

But in all honesty, I do welcome Gehry's towers. I'm more excited about this development than 45 Bay.

When he flipped off that Spanish reporter, though....I was just like: Queen, please.

If he was truly focused on "respect for humanity" then his real estate would be about affordability over being glamorous, different, or in any sense artistic.

So anything beautiful and less affordable is disrespectful to humanity? Interesting.
Personally, I can derive joy from objects that I do not and cannot own.

So anything beautiful and less affordable is disrespectful to humanity? Interesting.
Personally, I can derive joy from objects that I do not and cannot own.

I didn't say that. I said "over," not "without." Projects can be both affordable and beautiful.

These waterfall sculptures, I believe, will very likely be quite the sight to see, although there are a number of skeptics on this forum who predict otherwise. I hope the markets hold long enough to see this project through.

...in my opinion, that "respects humanity" so much more than any high-cost unnecessarily sculpted infrastructure with mostly subjective ambitions could.

But in all honesty, I do welcome Gehry's towers. I'm more excited about this development than 45 Bay.

When he flipped off that Spanish reporter, though....I was just like: Queen, please.

In my opinion, “unnecessarily sculpted infrastructure with mostly subjective ambitions†is what makes his work so distinct, beautiful and engaging. I think he mentioned “no respect for humanity†in the context of modern architecture not enhancing/contributing to human interaction and experience (and I agree with that) as opposed to affordability. The lack of quality affordable housing reflects our collective values and we are all responsible for the type of society we live in.

While I don't condone his giving the finger, I think the reporter deliberately asked a provocative question that is moot. It's like asking Almodóvar why the characters in his movies are so over the top.

Did they approve the 92 and 82 storeys buildings. And if they didn't I kind of like the rendering of the middle tower having the cloth looking facade for the podium. If they can leave the facades of the old historical buildings gut the insides and build upward from there. Or buy out Ed Mirvish Way street air rights and build over the one huge tower. I prefer the the old middle tower rendering with the cloth base podium would be ideal. The reason for that is because it resembles the academy award trophy look. Which would look appealing in the entertainment district. Not those twisted box looking structures.

First off, everything and anything that comes out of the Sun should be taken with a grain of salt. How people can still take the Toronto Sun seriously is a mystery to me.

I'm curious as to how the reporter provoked him to cause such an outburst, although I can't say I disagree with our hometown hero. I would go as far as increasing the percentage to 99%. I understand the need to be cost effective, but to a certain line which is constantly crossed. I don't have a problem with him flipping the bird, it shows his passion, something a lot of architects in this city are missing. Let's keep this project rolling!

"There's no sense of design, no respect for humanity or for anything else" - Beautiful words of Frank Gehry

Back